Appraise feature reminds me of MUDding

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
This isn't extremely relevant to Pok?mon GO, but I wanted to share it anyhow.

I just read the iMore article about the Appraise feature in v1.5.0 of the game. These "secret" stats that we will soon be able to see remind me of this online text game I used to play in the 90s called MUD (Multi-User Dungeon)?even more than the game already does [remind me of MUDding], what with its hit points and magic spells and all. When you created a character on the MUD I used to play at, he or she had stats ? la D&D (Strength, Intelligence, Constitution, etc.). In the particular MUD I used to play, they used to have it set up so you couldn't see all your stats until about level 5 or 10 (to discourage people from creating dozens of characters until they got one with perfect stats across the board), but they changed it later on. Anyone else here used to MUD in the days of yore?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
No, but I've played the Pok?mon games for 15 years. This is just Pok?mon GO's version of taking Individual Value (IV) points in account. I would just be thankful they don't base it off all six stats like the games. Or take Effort Value (EV) points in account.

Here's how the competitive game works for the DS Pok?mon games. After you decide how you want your team to play, who you want on your team, and their attacks. Then you get to breed them. You breed for attacks (if applicable, some attacks can only be learned by breeding), you breed for stats, you breed for nature, and you breed for ability. Once you've hatched a Pok?mon with the right nature, ability, and moves, then you need to factor the IV points for Attack, Special Attack, Defense, Special Defense, HP, and Speed. This can be tricky, IV'S are assigned a value between 1 and 31, 31 being the strongest base stat. However if you're using the attack Hidden Power, the typing of Hidden Attack is based off IV'S and will change what you need.

Once your IV'S are fine, your nature is correct, your ability is correct, and your attacks are correct, you can start dealing with EV's. EV's are predetermined by Pok?mon. When you battle a Pok?mon you get EV's from that Pok?mon. You can get 512 EV's total, 4 EV points equates to a +1 increase in that stat at level 100. This is a little painstaking. However once you've completed your EV training you're free to start on the next Pok?mon. It takes a long time.

Pok?mon GO on the other hand only has three IV stats to worry about that factor into the overall strength of your Pok?mon. So there is similarity to MUD'ing. Although that doesn't seem to be as complex ad Pok?mon.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
This tool (see below for link) explains IVs and allows you to calculate them. So if you haven’t gotten the 1.5.0 update yet and simply cannot wait to find out your Pok?mon’s IVs, jump right over there and get to work. Other sections of that same site provide quite useful information, so don’t hesitate to click around.

If you prefer spreadsheets, here’s (see below for link) a Google Doc spreadsheet capable of performing the same function. I think it’s more useful because you can display multiple Pokemon’s IVs simultaneously. Note that you will need to copy it to your own Google Drive before you can edit it. Instructions are provided at the site.

Moderators: I was unable to find similar information in a Mobile Networks website, hence the non-Mobile Networks links.

Note: There’s something wrong with the linking in this post and I cannot seem to highlight specific words and hyperlink them. Every time I save my post it gets messed up. So here are the referenced links:

First paragraph: https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator
Second paragraph: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRo...proved_iv_calculator_automatically_calculate/

Last edited: