How to use a Lucky Egg effectively

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I have posted a few times about how to use a Lucky Egg effectively. I wasted my first Lucky Egg before learning this so I figured I'd write this post for everyone. Especially since I have the benefit of having played Pok?mon games since the late 90's.

First off, if you don't know what a Lucky Egg does, it doubles the XP you receive for 30 minutes per egg. This is much the same as the Pok?mon games for Gameboy/DS, however in those games Lucky Eggs are much harder to come by and only effect the XP of a specific Pok?mon.

So doubling all XP for 30 minutes is great right? Well you'll want to get the most XP for your time, I'm posting this because after doing this I achieved nearly 55,000 XP in 30 minutes. Yes, 55,000. Almost 60,000 however I was off by a minute. I'll explain that soon.

First off, are you tired of seeing Doduo, Zubat, Rattata, Pidgey, Caterpie, and Weedle? Perfect, catch all of them. Why? Because you see them everywhere, and Pidgey, Caterpie, and Weedle are your best friends for a Lucky Egg. Doduo and Zubat require 50 candies to evolve and are the most expensive of the bunch to evolve, good thing they're everywhere. Rattata needs 25 candies to evolve, much more reasonable. And Pidgey, Caterpie, and Weedle need only 12 candies to evolve. This an XP goldmine.

For best results you'll need to do some math. For starters, catching a Pok?mon gives you 3 candies for that Pok?mon. Transferring them gives 1 candy. So having enough candy to evolve 24 Pidgey and transferring them allows you to actually evolve 26 Pidgey. This is what you're looking for. Basically to make use of your 30 minutes you'll want to have 50 or so Pok?mon you can evolve.

Secondly, egg hatching. What you want a numerous eggs with the same km rating. You want to put them all in incubators at exactly the same time. This is where I messed up, I was a minute off on my egg hatching and lost out on about 5,000 XP. If you have 9 eggs with the same km rating and don't mind spending the money to buy egg incubators this will greatly benefit you. You put all your eggs in the incubators at exactly the same time and get them to about .01 or .02 km before hatching, however only do this step after you've gotten all the Pok?mon you want to evolve.

Here's where the mass XP gain comes into play. You have your 50 or so Pok?mon with enough candies to evolve them ready and your eggs are about to hatch. Use your lucky egg. Now evolve all of those Pok?mon and transfer them until they are all evolved, if you already have the evolved forms of these Pok?mon you get 50,000 XP in evolution alone. Add an additional 2,000 XP once for every Pok?mon not in your Pok?dex that you evolve. Now, with your remaining few minutes, hatch those eggs. That's an additional 1,000 XP for every egg hatched and again add an additional 2,000 XP for every Pok?mon not already in your Pok?dex. In 30 minutes with the Lucky Egg you should be able to achieve roughly 50,000-60,000 or more XP. Happy catching.

EDIT: FIXED A COUPLE NUMBERS IN MY POST

Here's some proof, sadly I missed the screenshot of the 48,000 XP I received from evolutions.

This is before using my Lucky Egg
b51d7c52b7539710c7a0fff85b7aa8aa.png

This is after
fb06c62ccaa93d8248d4ee7a5f08a18a.png

Last edited:

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Great tips! Never seen a Doduo around here though!

I have a ton of the others though, ready to use one day when I'm sitting near a couple of lures.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay, an update, because screenshot this time. I hatched 9 eggs simultaneously, evolved 53 Pok?mon with 7 new additions to my Pok?dex using a Lucky Egg.

26a0590e0aade3fdb8914d22c630cd63.png

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Okay, an update, because screenshot this time. I hatched 9 eggs simultaneously, evolved 53 Pok?mon with 7 new additions to my Pok?dex using a Lucky Egg.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160810/26a0590e0aade3fdb8914d22c630cd63.png

all that and you're still only on 22? ;) Kidding! I'm on 16, knocking on 17, but hoarding Pok?mon to evolve. Also heading to downtown DC maybe next weekend to hit some of the monuments and see what we can find. Friend of mine said the FDR Memorial has 8-9 Pok?Stops in one spot and she's been finding some crazy Pok?mon down there. I may hold the egg until then!

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
It sure would be nice if that evolution animation could be cut short whenever the user wishes. It wastes valuable seconds. One single evolution is not a lot, but it does add up when evolving multiple Pok?mon.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It sure would be nice if that evolution animation could be cut short whenever the user wishes. It wastes valuable seconds. One single evolution is not a lot, but it does add up when evolving multiple Pok?mon.

Yes, I've already had this discussion with a friend of mine. There's no way to shorten it on the handheld games either. I'm sure Niantic and the Pok?mon Company don't want want people getting too many experience points in a short amount of time either.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Was thinking the same. And the animation when catching Pok?mon should be skipped too (after it shows you caught it). that one isn't as long but still get impatient when there are two in the same area and don't want to miss one :)

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I've already had this discussion with a friend of mine. There's no way to shorten it on the handheld games either. I'm sure Niantic and the Pok?mon Company don't want want people getting too many experience points in a short amount of time either.
Was thinking the same. And the animation when catching Pok?mon should be skipped too (after it shows you caught it). that one isn't as long but still get impatient when there are two in the same area and don't want to miss one :)
Oh, no! I just tried the new Appraise function. Again, way too time-consuming. Your team leader does indeed tell you little tidbits about the requested Pok?mon’s IVs, but she goes sentence by sentence and you have to tap on each one to get to the next one, when instead she could easily have said it all in a single paragraph.

Reminds me of those stupid Internet articles that are titled “10 Things That... blah blah blah” and you have to click on Next after you read each one instead of getting one single list of the 10 things in question all on the same screen.

Oh, well, I guess I’ll just try to make use of the new function instead of whining so much about how it was implemented. :rotfl:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Oh, no! I just tried the new Appraise function. Again, way too time-consuming. Your team leader does indeed tell you little tidbits about the requested Pok?mon?s IVs, but she goes sentence by sentence and you have to tap on each one to get to the next one, when instead she could easily have said it all in a single paragraph.

Reminds me of those stupid Internet articles that are titled ?10 Things That... blah blah blah? and you have to click on Next after you read each one instead of getting one single list of the 10 things in question all on the same screen.

Oh, well, I guess I?ll just try to make use of the new function instead of whining so much about how it was implemented. :rotfl:

Unfortunately this is also just like hand held games. I agree, it's annoying.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately this is also just like hand held games. I agree, it's annoying.
I bet it’s doubly frustrating for a seasoned Pok?mon player such as yourself. You know the numerical values (1-31) of the IVs, as you mentioned elsewhere. Instead of providing those, the trainer gives you some lame-*** text that you’re supposed to correlate to the actual numerical value.

Obviously, sites like iMore are already compiling lists of which text given by the team leader corresponds to which IV value range, but I’m willing to bet that you and other experienced players would love to simply get the numerical value.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I bet it?s doubly frustrating for a seasoned Pok?mon player such as yourself. You know the numerical values (1-31) of the IVs, as you mentioned elsewhere. Instead of providing those, the trainer gives you some lame-*** text that you?re supposed to correlate to the actual numerical value.

Obviously, sites like iMore are already compiling lists of which text given by the team leader corresponds to which IV value range, but I?m willing to bet that you and other experienced players would love to simply get the numerical value.

Yeah, the handheld games give the same text that's rather inaccurate. The handheld games though pok?mon level between 1 and 100 and you can't accurately calculate IV's until level 50. It's annoying all around.

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

I saw this tip on the net somewhere, and it works great:
If you have 2 devices that can play the game, log in your account on both and evolve on both. I do pidgeys on one device (iPhone) and something else on the other (an iPad Mini). While one is evolving you start evolving another. It doubles the number of evolutions you can do in 30 minutes.
It can get confusing things are going so fast is the reason for not doing pidgeys on both devices, but even if you try to evolve the same Pok?mon, you will only get an error message on one of the devices.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I saw this tip on the net somewhere, and it works great:
If you have 2 devices that can play the game, log in your account on both and evolve on both. I do pidgeys on one device (iPhone) and something else on the other (an iPad Mini). While one is evolving you start evolving another. It doubles the number of evolutions you can do in 30 minutes.
It can get confusing things are going so fast is the reason for not doing pidgeys on both devices, but even if you try to evolve the same Pok?mon, you will only get an error message on one of the devices.

That's a great tip! I wonder if you could also have two people go out and catch Pok?mon for the same trainer simultaneously. Like if your spouse doesn't really care about having their own trainer and wants to help you advance yours. Although that would have to be an awfully loving and generous spouse!

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
That's a great tip! I wonder if you could also have two people go out and catch Pok?mon for the same trainer simultaneously. Like if your spouse doesn't really care about having their own trainer and wants to help you advance yours. Although that would have to be an awfully loving and generous spouse!

Thats a good question. I guess you could test your theory. I think it could work, but if you were both trying to catch the same pidgey, one of you would get an error message.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711