Is it possible to offload photos to iCloud?

pyeager07

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

I have a 7Plus 128GB with plenty of storage room left on it. But because I took a lot of photos on my last vacation I now have 60GB of photos stored on my iPhone. Which would normally be ok except now on the iPhone X I am forced to buy the larger model because 64GB just isn't going to cut it.

I have plenty room on iCloud and I also have "Optimize Storage" checked on my iPhone but still it's using the space I have to store locally as well as iCloud.

My question to you Rene is, is there a way to force offload a lot of my photos to iCloud to make more room locally on my iPhone? I really don't want to pay more for the pricey X than it already is just because Apple doesn't have a quota limit feature on photo storage.

Can you help?
TIA
Peggy

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
No. You can't do that. Upload them to an alternative cloud service such as OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. and then you can delete them from your phone if desired.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
iCloud is more of a sync service than a cloud storage service, in my opinion.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Dropbox automatically uploads the photos to the cloud. Then you log into you computer, open the Dropbox app and click and drag photos to you computer photos folder. Very easy and it uploads in the background when you’re in WiFi. I use it and love it. I too take a lot of photos and they are automatically backed up to drop box and Amazon Prime Photos. I always have 45GB available on my iPhone at all times.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have a 7Plus 128GB with plenty of storage room left on it. But because I took a lot of photos on my last vacation I now have 60GB of photos stored on my iPhone. Which would normally be ok except now on the iPhone X I am forced to buy the larger model because 64GB just isn't going to cut it.

I have plenty room on iCloud and I also have "Optimize Storage" checked on my iPhone but still it's using the space I have to store locally as well as iCloud.

My question to you Rene is, is there a way to force offload a lot of my photos to iCloud to make more room locally on my iPhone? I really don't want to pay more for the pricey X than it already is just because Apple doesn't have a quota limit feature on photo storage.

Can you help?
TIA
Peggy

Yea. It sucks pretty much. I use google photos to offload all my pictures.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
You won’t need to do anything. When you buy the X and sign in to iCloud it will realise you don’t have the capacity and simply won’t download all the photos leaving them in iCloud for when you do want them.

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
You could also use iCloud Photo Sharing. Thats separate from your iCloud storage and iCloud Photo Library.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
You can use flickr which offers 1TB for free or google photos with unlimited storage (as long as you upload in full-res)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro