Using your Smartphone as your primary camera?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

As smartphones have gotten smarter, and with better specs, who is using their iPhone, OR Android as a primary camera? The iPhone 7 Plus, and many Android phones now have VERY sophisticated camera with dual lens, and advanced photo processing. So it should be possible to do this.

I am using both my iPhone 7 Plus and my Mi Mix as cameras. I no longer own any other cameras to speak of, and this setup is working great for me. I can get some excellent quality shots, AND I always have my cameras with me because I always have my phones with me!

So who is with me? Who is using their phone as a primary camera?

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I definitely am! There are times when I long for a "regular camera" by the iPhone camera is awesome. I currently have a 6s and am longing for the 7+, but will wait to see what Apple has in store for us with their new "batch".

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
iPhone as primary camera? As much as I want to say "no", reality is that it is my primary photography device. I don't always have a Canon bag with me, although I probably need to pick up a little cheap something to keep in the car.

However, it took a couple hours of not moving, a weighted tripod and a 600mm lens to get this:Lee_Bo_2_042017.jpg

Then he got mad at me:Lee_Bo_3_042017.jpg

There's no way I would have got those with an iPhone.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Bird watching and professional level stuff aside. I think many of us "regular" folks CAN do it. BUT yea I get ya @Lee_Bo lol

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
My younger brother had prom over the weekend and I snapped quite a few pictures. My iPhone did really well. So yes...for me it is my main and only camera. Although, I'm not sure how the photos will do if they are blown up and printed out. They look incredible on my phone though.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Bird watching and professional level stuff aside. I think many of us "regular" folks CAN do it. BUT yea I get ya @Lee_Bo lol

Well, I do consider myself a "regular" person. I got into photography a few years ago as a hobby which has almost become a full time hobby. Now I get requests from friends and family members asking if I'll shoot graduation / engagement photos, and weddings. I HATE shooting weddings as I don't do people.........as odd as that sounds. I'm an outdoor photo-enthusiast and don't have the gear for indoor shooting. However, last year, this year and going forward, all the youth I've mentored and tutored at church since they were 5 years old are graduating high school, college, and getting married. Kinda hard to say no these yutes that I've known almost all their lives.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Since Apple has just launched the "Today at Apple" series, I am thinking about taking the "iPhone photography" class.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I just checked Apple's website and think the photo walks look really fun. There is one scheduled for Saturday morning... I may sign up!

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I was in a photo challenge with my friends who all had iOS devices, and some of them were taking breathtaking photos with sixth gen iPods. IPODS!!! They got bokeh effects and wonderful blurred backgrounds with just iPods. Mobile cameras on cell phones and iOS devices really can be people's main cameras. It has the ability to capture the photo, edit the photo, and post the photo, all with one device. No separate camera and separate computer with memory cards or wires and adaptors and then needing to connect to the internet or transferring to a mobile device to post on social media. They can do it all with one small device. That's incredible!

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I was in Las Vegas in April and my goal was to travel as light as I could. Left my DSLR at home and only took my 7plus. I took well over 1500 photos using two different apps and some of the photos came out amazing while others I would be embarrassed to show. It serves its purpose and my next vacation I will have either my iPhone or galaxy s8 as my only camera again since I am not printing out my photos but just using them to share online and keep memories alive. For those purposes these devices work perfectly.

Here are my vacation photos:https://flic.kr/s/aHskTqPQqj

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73