I've been a longtime iPhoto user, but I have to admit... I'm not a fan. Not sure what it is about iPhoto exactly, but I've never enjoyed the experience or UI flow through the app. Sitting here it occurred to me I should ask our amazing members if they have any alternative suggestions for photo management instead of iPhoto? Anything out there you'd recommend? Or is iPhoto simply the way to go?
    11-19-2013 11:00 AM
    I've been a longtime iPhoto user, but I have to admit... I'm not a fan. Not sure what it is about iPhoto exactly, but I've never enjoyed the experience or UI flow through the app. Sitting here it occurred to me I should ask our amazing members if they have any alternative suggestions for photo management instead of iPhoto? Anything out there you'd recommend? Or is iPhoto simply the way to go?
    I like/use iPhoto on my Mac primarily because of the hook into PhotoStream... photos just show up on my Mac from my iPhone and iPad, and its a great way to quickly share photos from my MBP to my iPhone/iPad. However, I also use Picasa. In fact, I use a somewhat hybrid solution.

Here's how I do it:
    I use iPhoto as described above. From there, I move the photos off to an external drive and view them via Picasa. This gives me the ability to easily share photos between my Apple devices, and still store them on an external drive, freeing up valuable space on my rMBP's SSD. Picasa allows me to easily view and manage the photos, and provides a tool for quick edits/cropping and for printing.
    11-19-2013 11:08 AM
    Are you using iPhoto for organization or photo editing?
    11-19-2013 11:42 AM
    Are you using iPhoto for organization or photo editing?
    I use iPhoto mainly as a vehicle to move photos between my Photostream and my MBP. From there, I typically move the photos out of the iPhoto library and manage/edit/organize them via Picasa on an external (USB) drive.
    11-19-2013 11:47 AM