Weekly photo contest: Abandoned buildings!

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Whether you live in the city or the country, we see abandoned structures all over. Whether it's a half torn down barn or a city building that hasn't been used in years, there is no denying that they make awesome subjects for photos. This weeks' challenge is to get out there and find them!

As a side note, please be mindful to property you do not own and don't ever do anything to put yourself at risk. In other words, don't go breaking into any buildings just for a photo. Photos from safe distances without putting yourself at risk is what we're asking for.

The contest begins today and ends Tuesday, October 15th at 10 p.m. Eastern time.

The prize: A $30 iTunes gift card

Aside from a thumbs up from the entire iMore crew, we'll be giving the winner of this week's contest a $30 iTunes gift card to help them stock up on the photo editing apps of their choice, or any other apps they'd like!

The rules

Submitted photos must have been taken with an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

We'll check the EXIF data of the original file to verify and any edits must have been done with an iPhone or iPad app. No Photoshop, Lightroom, or other external editing programs! If you have external lens accessories such as an Olloclip or other snap-on lens, you are more than welcome to use them.

You can submit as many photos as you'd like, but remember, this is a contest, so make sure you submit your best work!

Resources

Now, before you run off to take your photo, remember that it's not technical skill alone that will claim this prize. Even if you're not the best photographer (yet!), a great eye and a great subject can still get you the win.

However, a little help can never hurt, so make sure you check out our iPhone photography series for some tips.

How to submit

To enter the contest, just post a reply to this thread with your photos attached. That's all there is to it!

Don't have a computer and need to post from an iPhone or iPad? Check out the Tapatalk app in the App Store as it will let you upload images to our forums!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This should be quite interesting, and I can't wait to see the uploaded pics...:)

Stefano_B

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Rural Utah. Abandoned small home. Taken with 4S and edited with snapseed and DistressedFX.

ase9yvas.jpg

Rural Utah. Abandoned farm home. Taken with iPhone 4S.

ju7u5ybu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

willows3

Jun 10, 2010
www.myspace.com
photo.JPG

I call this picture Broken Beauty.

I was walking down the street to the post office when I saw her. Abandoned and alone. Unlivable but still offering so much. I wish I could fix her up and live there. Soo beautiful. So lost.

gnforpeace

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Really excited about this challenge!

Top Edited with Snapseed and Super Noir Cam - Shot with iPhone 4s

Middle - titled: "The Day The Music Died" Edited with Snapseed - Shot with iPhone 5s

Bottom titled: "Knock Knock" Edited with Snapseed, Sketch Club, Scary Camera, Distressed FX, Lenslight - Shot with iPhone 5s

Attachments

• 2013-09-08 20.52.39.jpg
    2013-09-08 20.52.39.jpg
    787.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Knock_Knock.__snapseed__sketchclub__scarycamera__distressedfx__lenslight.jpg
    Knock_Knock.__snapseed__sketchclub__scarycamera__distressedfx__lenslight.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 205
  • Photo Oct 02, 11 03 15 PM copy.jpg
    Photo Oct 02, 11 03 15 PM copy.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 41

Sean Peters1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok, here goes. An abandoned mill in my hometown of Fredericksburg, VA. This crumbling edifice, half covered in ivy, is the perfect submission for the Halloween season - it's right out of a Lovecraft story. And re: remaining safe by not entering. Are you f'in kidding me? Dude, I am familiar with all horror movie traditions. Wild horses couldn't get me into this place. Anyway, here it is:
vscocam_1381360425.199574.IMG_2222.JPG
Taken with the Camera app on iPhone 4S, edited with VSCOcam.

John Paul Vela

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Here are pictures of the Imperial Sugar factory in Sugar Land, TX which closed its doors in 2003.

Taken with iPhone 5 and edited w/ Camera +

image1.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpegimage4.jpegimage5.jpgimage6.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73