iPhoto Alternatives for Mac?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The more I use iPhoto, the less I want to use it. Don't get me wrong, it has some nice features, but overall the experience is one that feels slow, locked down, and a bit more complicated than it needs to be. So I wonder: do any of you feel the same way? And if so, what do you use instead of iPhoto on your Mac?

A few things I'd really love to hear more about are what led you to switch; what killer features does your new app have that iPhoto lacked; and how steep was the learning curve/importing when switching your library over?

Thanks for the advice, iMore!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I loathe iPhoto. When I bought my new MBP last year I got a $100 app store credit, and used it to buy Apperture, which makes iPhoto look like an early beta. There are probably plenty of other alternatives that are cheaper, and still better than iPhoto, but there were a few editing features that Apperture has which made it worth the purchase.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I've had my eye on Aperture for a while, I just don't have the money right now. Looks great though!

Are there specific things you can point to in Aperture that you prefer over iPhoto? I'm thinking less about specific editing features and more about general workflow and how it handles importing/saving/sorting photos. Would love to hear your opinion!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
It seems to sort better. Of course, it's been so long now since I've opened iPhoto that I couldn't give you anything specifically.

I hated the way iPhoto grouped everything - kinda like the way they've moved to with iOS 7. I'm not pleased with that at all. I can group my own photos, or leave them all in one big mess, tyvm!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yep, that's one of my issues as well. Maybe I just need to dig into the options more, but of all the Apple tech I use iPhoto seems the least user-friendly.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl