The purpose of this thread is to compare photo editing apps. Seems there are a number of apps that do virtually the same thing. For example, I don't use Filterstorm. But I know a number of people use this app religiously. That's great. But maybe there's another that will accomplish many of the same effects. Here are some discussion starters:

Mextures - What are equivalents?
    Filterstorm
    PhotoForge2
    Afterlight
    Snapseed
    Mirrorgram
    LensLight
    Over
    HDR Art
    Tiny Planets

These are just a sample. My point is to encourage others here to share what they use and understand which other apps can do virtually the same. And - also to understand which apps are so unique that they are stand alone and whose effects are not replicated by others.

Cheers~
    08-07-2013 11:37 AM
    Excellent thread, and hopefully, it will get a great deal of participation....
    08-07-2013 12:11 PM
    I have a number of these. But I'm going to hit Tiny Planets because it is unique. It doesn't edit photos, doesn't provide filters, doesn't change color or color saturation.

It takes a photo you've taken (panos work best) and swirls it so that the ends wrap creating a planet or island, depending on whether you're swirling in or out.

Here's an example. The result always reminds me of the illustrations from the book "Le Petit Prince."
    Attached Thumbnails compare photo editing apps-img_1969.jpg  
    tfoutz likes this.
    08-07-2013 12:22 PM
    I will go ahead and reply to my own thread.

I use Mextures for about every photo that I process. i don't know of ANY other app that allows the building and saving of custom "formulas" like you can do in Mextures. I don't know if FilterStorm offers something like this, but Mextures is a "go-to" app for me and one that I believe is unique and stand-alone.
    08-07-2013 04:21 PM
    I will go ahead and reply to my own thread.

I use Mextures for about every photo that I process. i don't know of ANY other app that allows the building and saving of custom "formulas" like you can do in Mextures. I don't know if FilterStorm offers something like this, but Mextures is a "go-to" app for me and one that I believe is unique and stand-alone.
    When you say custom formulas, do you mean a template for a combination of filters?
    08-07-2013 04:45 PM
    Yes, perhaps that's a way to describe it. There are "formulas" that combine a number of effects which different photographers have created. You can go directly to those formulas and apply them to your photos all at once. Or you can create your own and save it using light leaks, scratches, tints, gradients and other effects. Does that help?
    08-08-2013 12:44 PM
    Yup! That does help. Filterstorm also does this and calls them "animations."
    08-08-2013 07:29 PM
    Yes, perhaps that's a way to describe it. There are "formulas" that combine a number of effects which different photographers have created. You can go directly to those formulas and apply them to your photos all at once. Or you can create your own and save it using light leaks, scratches, tints, gradients and other effects. Does that help?
    Yup! That does help. Filterstorm also does this and calls them "animations."
    Hi all,

Do these apps save at high/full resolution? Or do they reduce the file size a lot?
    08-08-2013 08:37 PM