compare photo editing apps

tfoutz

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
The purpose of this thread is to compare photo editing apps. Seems there are a number of apps that do virtually the same thing. For example, I don't use Filterstorm. But I know a number of people use this app religiously. That's great. But maybe there's another that will accomplish many of the same effects. Here are some discussion starters:

Mextures - What are equivalents?
Filterstorm
PhotoForge2
Afterlight
Snapseed
Mirrorgram
LensLight
Over
HDR Art
Tiny Planets

These are just a sample. My point is to encourage others here to share what they use and understand which other apps can do virtually the same. And - also to understand which apps are so unique that they are stand alone and whose effects are not replicated by others.

Cheers~

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Excellent thread, and hopefully, it will get a great deal of participation....:)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I have a number of these. But I'm going to hit Tiny Planets because it is unique. It doesn't edit photos, doesn't provide filters, doesn't change color or color saturation.

It takes a photo you've taken (panos work best) and swirls it so that the ends wrap creating a planet or island, depending on whether you're swirling in or out.

Here's an example. The result always reminds me of the illustrations from the book "Le Petit Prince."

Attachments

• IMG_1969.jpg
    IMG_1969.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 12

tfoutz

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I will go ahead and reply to my own thread.

I use Mextures for about every photo that I process. i don't know of ANY other app that allows the building and saving of custom "formulas" like you can do in Mextures. I don't know if FilterStorm offers something like this, but Mextures is a "go-to" app for me and one that I believe is unique and stand-alone.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I will go ahead and reply to my own thread.

I use Mextures for about every photo that I process. i don't know of ANY other app that allows the building and saving of custom "formulas" like you can do in Mextures. I don't know if FilterStorm offers something like this, but Mextures is a "go-to" app for me and one that I believe is unique and stand-alone.

When you say custom formulas, do you mean a template for a combination of filters?

tfoutz

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, perhaps that's a way to describe it. There are "formulas" that combine a number of effects which different photographers have created. You can go directly to those formulas and apply them to your photos all at once. Or you can create your own and save it using light leaks, scratches, tints, gradients and other effects. Does that help?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, perhaps that's a way to describe it. There are "formulas" that combine a number of effects which different photographers have created. You can go directly to those formulas and apply them to your photos all at once. Or you can create your own and save it using light leaks, scratches, tints, gradients and other effects. Does that help?

Yup! That does help. Filterstorm also does this and calls them "animations."

Hi all,

Do these apps save at high/full resolution? Or do they reduce the file size a lot?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73