Time Lapse Apps

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

I've been experimenting with Time Lapse photography for a few years using my iPhone, and now more and more with my DSLR, but I'll keep to the iPhone for the topic of this post.

For the past few years, I've primarily used two main apps: iTimeLapse and Motion Pics. ITimeLapse was the better app for picture quality, but the app hasn't been updated since May of 2011 and so it crashes a lot of my 4S under iOS 5.1.

Motion Pics works a bit better, and was updated to have supposed Aperture Lock and Focus Lock. The Focus lock works well, but the Aperture Lock often doesn't, leading to shifts in exposure, especially when the sun is setting. This wouldn't be a bad thing if the aperture transition was smooth, but it's not. iTime Lapse is probably most limited by the exposure controls and shutter speed limits of the iPhone's camera. If the iPhone were capable of longer exposures, I would love to see one of these apps updated to allow for a semi-bulb ramping exposure, but for now that's just a pipe dream.

For the past year I've primarily used Motion Pics exclusively, thought I'm wanting more control and better image results. Motion Pics currently compresses the final movie into a 720p video that is saved to the camera roll, but the resulting degradation of image quality hurts the overall utility of the app.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has used different apps for their time lapses, and I'd like to see what kind of results you've gotten. If you can suggest a better app for time lapse, please post your experiences here! I'd love to hear from you!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2