Add-on lenses for iPhone

barryotoole

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to start a thread for lenses available to be added on to the iPhone to increase its camera capabilities and to share experiences.

I contributed to Kickstarter for 2 projects:

• GoPano lens, for a 360* panorama, but did not have much luck using it.
  • Olliclip, which has wide-angle, fisheye, and macro. It is a very clever design, the construction is solid, but my pictures were blurry.

The other problem with OlloClip is that the iPhone has to be without a case. This is a pain, since I keep a case over my iPhone. The GoPano does come with a case, but it is bulky and only for that lens.

I recently bought an iPro lens 'system'. Some photographs I took with it look real nice. It does come with a case that is specific for the two lenses, wide-angle and fisheye. I've heard they are coming out with a 2X telephoto in April, which, hopefully, will use the same case to lock the lens in place. In addition, the two lenses (WA + FE) are in a case that can be used as a tripod mount and a handle for the iPhone while shooting, as well.

I'd like to know if any of you have had experience wit, or knowledge of any other lenses or photographic related attachments for the iPhone.

Thanks

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
i feel your pain about the lenses and cases.

i use magnetic lenses because i prefer having a case on my phone. i glue the magnetic ring onto the case. i use a wideangle for all my videos, and for when i sneak close up photos of strangers in public.

ABN Panzer

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Had looked at lenses but realize that the ones I found are not compatable with my Otterbox case... and unfortunately I am abusive enough on things that I need the case.

barryotoole

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the info.

I've invested a lot in getting several lenses for my iPhone, and have come to realize that you get what you pay for. Since I use my iPhone 4S camera for serious photography as well, I rather spend some money and get a good quality lens.

A lot of manufacturers have sprouted up to make add-on lenses for the iPhone, without having any previous experience in optics. Thank God for China and the likes of Foxconn, we can have these lenses any where from $15-$40. For fun, these are fine but I won't rely on these to take photos that I want as keepsakes.

The iPro lenses are made by Schneider Optics which is a well known 3rd party lens maker. Sure, the two lenses cost about $200, but the pictures I've taken with them are better than with any other lenses I have.

They are coming out with a 2X telephoto lens in April, and I tend to believe that it will fit the socket of the case provided with the WA and FE lenses. I hope that when the form factor of the iPhone changes, Schneider will come out with a new case so all the lenses made for the 4/4S can be used with the new iPhone as well.

cinco312

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I use the 8X lens from HandHelditems. It takes very good images. The zoom makes shooting a video look very good too.
Specs:
Minimum Focal Distance : 3M
Magnification : 8X
Field View: 246M
Angle of View: 16, Size: 30x70mm

I paid $50 for it, but Amazon has it for $28.99

DZD

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I like the Olloclip but wish there was a telephoto lens included too. Are there any add on telephoto lens that is not fixed? In other words, it allows you to zoom in and out? All the ones I seem seem to be fixed only. Thanks.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen