Hey guys! To coincide with the weekly photography post on the main page, we'll be participating in weekly photography assignments here in the forums.

Today's post was on the rule of thirds:

Youve got yourself an iPhone equipped with arguably the best camera this side of a high-end point-and-shoot. Its so good theres a whole movement thats sprung up around it called iPhoneography, or photography with the iPhone. It proves the old saying, the best camera is the one you have with you, and in this case, that camera is also pretty darn good. But it takes more than just a great camera or lens to produce great photography. Thats where iMores new iPhoneography segment comes in. Were going to go over all the basics and work together to transform simple snapshots into photographic art.

And if youre already a seasoned photographer or iPhoneographer, we welcome you to join us. Sit in on the articles and in our new Photography Forum, lend us your eye, and share with us your experiences.

Now on with our first project! One of the most important, yet most difficult, elements in creating beautiful photographs is composition where your subject is placed and how its related to its surroundings. A great starting point for developing this skill is to understand the rule-of-thirds.
    http://www.imore.com/2012/02/10/rule-thirds/

Now that you've read all about the rule of thirds, it's time to put that knowledge into practice! So get shooting! Your challenge this week is to turn on your iPhone camera's grid and use the rule of thirds with every photo you take. Then come back here and share your best shots!
    Last edited by Leanna Lofte; 02-18-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    John Yester likes this.
    02-10-2012 01:38 PM
    It bears mentioning that there many camera replacement apps available that also contain optional gridlines, such as ProCamera, Camera+, HDR Fusion, and Magic Hour. They aren't available with every camera replacement app, however.
    02-10-2012 05:00 PM

:]
    ciaodom likes this.
    02-10-2012 05:23 PM
    SAURABH SINGH3 likes this.
    02-11-2012 03:12 PM
    How did you do that? Im super new to the world of Iphones and would love to do that with photos.
    02-11-2012 08:45 PM
    Took this last month
    Attached Thumbnails Photography assignment: rule of thirds-iphone-4-pictures-001.jpg  
    02-14-2012 04:06 AM
    02-14-2012 08:20 PM
    Today's shot
    02-15-2012 08:18 PM
    The photos are very wonderful. I would like to know how to come up with such as well.
    02-17-2012 12:38 AM
    Great work everyone! Keep them coming!
    02-18-2012 12:03 AM
    Nice photos... I was always taught to center them as much as possible, but I will start the thirds rule and see how much better my pictures come out.

P.S. Leanna... the baby looks beautiful, doesn't matter which third she's in.
    02-18-2012 05:21 PM
    How did you do that? Im super new to the world of Iphones and would love to do that with photos.
    for those wondering how i did the effects on my photo...i ran it through NIR Color to get the coloring...and Twist Cam for the twists. i think i probably ran it through Photo Studio FX too..
    02-19-2012 01:25 AM
    Here is a nice article about the Rule of Thirds..along with some cool storm photos:

Photography tip: The rule of thirds! - Tornado Titans
    03-25-2013 12:14 PM
    Thank you for the great post, detailed explanation and great advice! I specifically went out today and tried to focus on complying with the rule of thirds. Most of the times it worked, other times it was a bit difficult (for example, if there are many objects, not just one - it's a bit harder to align the objects with one of the axes). And sometimes the object looked better when centered. I will try to take more pictures using this rule. Can you please also look at my pictures and give me some tips/advices?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Photography assignment: rule of thirds-img_7395.jpg   Photography assignment: rule of thirds-img_7394.jpg   Photography assignment: rule of thirds-img_7393.jpg   Photography assignment: rule of thirds-img_7389.jpg  
    11-17-2013 11:51 AM
    For Every photography, Any kind of photography there is need a Rule. Editing is also play a important Role in this Section.
    11-19-2013 02:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD