Photography assignment: rule of thirds

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys! To coincide with the weekly photography post on the main page, we'll be participating in weekly photography assignments here in the forums.

Today's post was on the rule of thirds:

You?ve got yourself an iPhone equipped with arguably the best camera this side of a high-end point-and-shoot. It?s so good there?s a whole movement that?s sprung up around it called ?iPhoneography?, or photography with the iPhone. It proves the old saying, ?the best camera is the one you have with you?, and in this case, that camera is also pretty darn good. But it takes more than just a great camera or lens to produce great photography. That?s where iMore?s new iPhoneography segment comes in. We?re going to go over all the basics and work together to transform simple snapshots into photographic art.

And if you?re already a seasoned photographer or iPhoneographer, we welcome you to join us. Sit in on the articles and in our new Photography Forum, lend us your eye, and share with us your experiences.

Now on with our first project! One of the most important, yet most difficult, elements in creating beautiful photographs is composition ? where your subject is placed and how it?s related to its surroundings. A great starting point for developing this skill is to understand the rule-of-thirds.

http://www.imore.com/2012/02/10/rule-thirds/

Now that you've read all about the rule of thirds, it's time to put that knowledge into practice! So get shooting! Your challenge this week is to turn on your iPhone camera's grid and use the rule of thirds with every photo you take. Then come back here and share your best shots!

Last edited:

bethbikes

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
It bears mentioning that there many camera replacement apps available that also contain optional gridlines, such as ProCamera, Camera+, HDR Fusion, and Magic Hour. They aren't available with every camera replacement app, however.:)

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
393319_10100186105959207_24604645_45526780_275595162_n.jpg

:]

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Nice photos... I was always taught to center them as much as possible, but I will start the thirds rule and see how much better my pictures come out.

P.S. Leanna... the baby looks beautiful, doesn't matter which third she's in. :)

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
How did you do that? Im super new to the world of Iphones and would love to do that with photos.
for those wondering how i did the effects on my photo...i ran it through NIR Color to get the coloring...and Twist Cam for the twists. i think i probably ran it through Photo Studio FX too..

Natella Mammadova

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the great post, detailed explanation and great advice! I specifically went out today and tried to focus on complying with the rule of thirds. Most of the times it worked, other times it was a bit difficult (for example, if there are many objects, not just one - it's a bit harder to align the objects with one of the axes). And sometimes the object looked better when centered. I will try to take more pictures using this rule. Can you please also look at my pictures and give me some tips/advices?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7395.jpg
    IMG_7395.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7394.jpg
    IMG_7394.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7393.jpg
    IMG_7393.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7389.jpg
    IMG_7389.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4

anrique

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
For Every photography, Any kind of photography there is need a Rule. Editing is also play a important Role in this Section.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods