video link:
    app link: FiLMiC Pro for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (4th generation), iPad 2 Wi-Fi and iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G on the iTunes App Store

it sporadically goes free for some reason. i caught it when that happened, but i would definitely pay full price for this. i did a dark studio shoot the other day, and i definitely don't think i could've captured this footage with the default camera app. the biggest two reasons FiLMiC rules:
    -separate reticle for focus
    -separate reticle for exposure

the thing i forgot to do in this shoot was LOCK the focus, which is why the image blurs in my videos [i think it adds to my videos in this case though].

the default camera app is okay for video recording....but if you want more control over your visuals...FiLMiC is the way to go.

i wouldn't recommend it for casual video that you don't plan to edit...because i noticed that the "record" sound occurs at the beginning of each of my raw videos. hopefully they'll fix that in future updates.

[edit: don't know why the video isn't embedding]
    01-24-2012 01:45 PM
    Yeah, I agree that this app is amazing for serious filmmaking. It's worth 5 times whatever it's selling for now.

When you wrote about not locking the focus but liking it, I was skeptical. But I agree-- the blurring effect was actually kinda cool and looked like you intended to do it. Your film kept my interest for the whole 4 minutes and that's saying something. Nice job PJ!
    01-25-2012 03:01 AM
    [edit: don't know why the video isn't embedding]
    Rocktapus, to pop a YouTube vid into your post, just click the YouTube icon above the posting window, and paste the video ID number (the part between the = and the & in the URL) in between the tags. Like so:

[YOUTUBEHD]your video ID here[/YOUTUBEHDremovethistext]

So yours would look like this:
    [YOUTUBEHD]WXp_BgEFm1A[/YOUTUBEHDremovethistext]

Which will give you this (once you delete the "removethistext" string):

Hope that helps!
    Rocktapus likes this.
    01-25-2012 08:26 AM
    thanks! i'm gonna make sure to LOCK the exposure/focus next time. this was my first time using FiLMiC even though i've had it for a long time. when i film with the default app, the focus/exposure locks when i hit record, so i've never had the blur thing before.

thanks for embedding it Massie!
    01-25-2012 07:02 PM

i wouldn't recommend it for casual video that you don't plan to edit...because i noticed that the "record" sound occurs at the beginning of each of my raw videos. hopefully they'll fix that in future updates.
    Rocktapus~
    I forgot to mention something: I think that "sound" that you are referring to might be the 'slate" tone used to sync video and audio at the beginning of each clip. You might check the settings and see if you have the slate 'on' and if so, try turning it off.
    Rocktapus likes this.
    01-27-2012 03:10 AM
    this app is now currently FREE in the app store. go save yourself $3.99 ;]
    05-26-2012 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD