Anyone use Apple, Google, or Microsoft exclusively? Second device recommendations.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Looking to simplify my electronic life. Currently have a iPhone 11 Pro and a 10 year old PC (replacing in the next week or two). Deciding on either MacBook Air or Pro, some type of windows laptop, or possibly a chromebook. Use my phone for most tasks but want another device as a backup/occasional bigger screen.

Also looking to move to one ecosystem.

My current setup:

1. Use Apple for reminders, calendar, some email, photos, iCloud Drive, Apple Watch
2. Use google for email, photos, search, google drive, some google docs
3. Microsoft for some word editing. Not opposed to using outlook.com for mail and one drive for backups. Work offers 365 subscriptions for $69/year.

Don’t feel tied to any of them but would like to simplify/organize.

Recommendations for a second device based off what’s described above?

If you use one ecosystem exclusively, which is it? If not, what’s your current setup?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Currently using iCloud as much as possible.

I have my Gmail address forwarding to my iCloud address. I also have Outlook installed on my iPhone (we're an Office 365 partner) for work email and that also gets me the Microsoft suite of apps (Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Teams).

You can install all the Google apps on an iPhone.

To make a long story short, I was an Android user since day one. Three years ago I decided to give iPhone a try, for no reason other than to give it a try. Been on the Apple ecosystem ever since:
iPhone
iPad
Apple Watch
Mac Mini (2)
MacBook Pro
Apple TV (2)

Come on in. The water is nice.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I primarily use Apple products and services, especially for personal use. I have the following devices for my personal use:
IPhone 11 Pro Max
iPhone 7 for a backup. Gave the 8 to a family member.
MacBook Pro (2017 model w/o Touch Bar
iPad Pro 9.7 (original series) that I reclaimed from my son.
TV 4K
HomePod
Watch Series 5 cellular

For work, I use a MacBook Air, and iPad Pro (12.9-inch model), and an Apple Bluetooth keyboard.

I also use Google Suite, Office 365, Trello, Slack, Zoom, Smartsheets, Jira and other services for work.

Things 3, NordVPN, Fantastical, Discord, Tapatalk Pro and others for personal use.

I did purchased a cheap Windows 10 machine to use in conjunction with my MacBook Air for work, but I ended up giving it to my youngest son.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Appreciate the input. I’ve had iPhones since they came to Verizon. Leaving iPhone was never really a thought. This PC has thankfully lasted a lot longer than I ever thought. I’m going to try and go all in on Apple... Pages, Numbers, etc. with the 13” MacBook Pro. I ordered one last week when it was on sale for $1099 ($200 off). Looking forward to the challenge of moving all my google stuff over.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have no choice but to use and administer multiple platforms. I'm an enterprise IT manager. I have some favorites mostly about features and support but not the rabid fan boy or favorite team mentality many have.

On Apple, remember they do a really good job as a client for their own server-side aka back end, Google and Microsoft.

The Microsoft platform has strongest feature set and best support by far but you have to get into a paid tier for the absolutely first class environment. Don't confuse the company reputation from a different era with now.

I also administer the enterprise grade G Suite in a team of volunteers for a big volunteer organization and dozens of Android and Google products along with Apple mobile. Google's done good catch up but they're behind Microsoft and Amazon in cloud. Their support has improved but their features are behind Microsoft. This comes from an Alphabet stockholder.

Look at feature sets, do product trials. I can't really put any of the products down but confess the feature set and broad device support has me depend on Apple as client and Microsoft platform more than Google. For my work life it's more like a job and I figure out and make it all work.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I have no choice but to use and administer multiple platforms. I'm an enterprise IT manager. I have some favorites mostly about features and support but not the rabid fan boy or favorite team mentality many have.

On Apple, remember they do a really good job as a client for their own server-side aka back end, Google and Microsoft.

The Microsoft platform has strongest feature set and best support by far but you have to get into a paid tier for the absolutely first class environment. Don't confuse the company reputation from a different era with now.

I also administer the enterprise grade G Suite in a team of volunteers for a big volunteer organization and dozens of Android and Google products along with Apple mobile. Google's done good catch up but they're behind Microsoft and Amazon in cloud. Their support has improved but their features are behind Microsoft. This comes from an Alphabet stockholder.

Look at feature sets, do product trials. I can't really put any of the products down but confess the feature set and broad device support has me depend on Apple as client and Microsoft platform more than Google. For my work life it's more like a job and I figure out and make it all work.

This is great stuff. Really appreciate it. It’s hard to imagine not using Word and solely relying on Apple software. I had a resume in Pages that I tried uploading to a website. It wouldn’t recognize it. Said it had to be a Word doc. I may have no choice but to utilize both... Microsoft for most software, and Apple for hardware and some software.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You are spot-on in your assessment, sir.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is great stuff. Really appreciate it. It’s hard to imagine not using Word and solely relying on Apple software. I had a resume in Pages that I tried uploading to a website. It wouldn’t recognize it. Said it had to be a Word doc. I may have no choice but to utilize both... Microsoft for most software, and Apple for hardware and some software.

The good thing about Apple’s office software is that you can export to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc., as well as to pdf.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My choice is Apple. I am currently using a HP Laptop, which has been issued to me by my employer to use while working from home.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Recommendations for external hard drive or SD card? Is there a difference between the function of the two?

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Recommendations for external hard drive or SD card? Is there a difference between the function of the two?

I bought a 128gb MacBook Pro a few weeks ago. Anyone have a favorite A SSD external hard drive they use? Figured this is cheaper than paying $400-$800 more for internal storage.

jlarkins08

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I use Google for mostly everything except email. I use Outlook for that (live, exchange) my personal smartphone is an Pixel 3, secondary device is an iPad mini 5. Work phone is an iPhone XR. Work PC on Windows 10 Pro, personal PC Windows 10 home. I use icloud to sync my notes. Other than that, Google runs my life, (photos, maps, contacts, browser, among other things) I have no issues.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

I tend towards first tier and name brands but confess to bias created by my job. I've been in IT for 31 years - procurement, provisioning, technician, training, networking, security, and finally IT director. It's so competitive that I'll pay tiny premiums for products known to have decent quality, post sale support, and a lack of security mess ups.

For consumers, COSTCO always has memory cards and drives from brand names at good prices. This site gives me pop ups for CDW. While CDW is geared towards business, individuals can purchase there. I've made small individual purchase there and $100,000 purchases there. They're an iMore advertiser I trust. You see lower prices with an account or working with a sales rep. The other iMore advertiser I've used is Amazon but there I watch who the seller is. More and more I try to buy stuff from firms known as good to their employees and independently owned.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77