Should Apple worry about smart watches from Fossil?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you haven’t seen the commercial showing the versatile Fossil smartwatch, check it out when you get a chance. Fossil claims that it is compatible with both Android and iOS. With that in mind, should Apple be concerned?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I don’t think so. There have been competing brands since before Apple Watch even existed. Simply put, a third party wearable connected using Bluetooth can’t do what a paired Apple Watch can do.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don’t think so. There have been competing brands since before Apple Watch even existed. Simply put, a third party wearable connected using Bluetooth can’t do what a paired Apple Watch can do.

Maybe, but we can’t overlook the things that may be unique to Fossil and could appeal to consumers

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe, but we can’t overlook the things that may be unique to Fossil and could appeal to consumers

Of course. Even so, I don’t think Apple should worry that a Fossil smartwatch is going to disrupt Apple Watch sales.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The Fossil smartwatch has been out for years. I think there’s a market for all different smart watches based on what the consumer likes. Plus, those of us that aren’t tied to their apple watches need options lol. I’m still not completely sold on mine. I think Apple ruined the experience by not allowing it to be restored if it’s paired with a new device.

Apple Watch has a base, so Apple will be just fine.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I think Apple ruined the experience by not allowing it to be restored if it’s paired with a new device.

Agreed. The only thing I can think of why Apple hasn’t initiated some sort of new iPhone restore for Apple Watch is that Apple Watch relies very heavily on what is installed on the phone it’s paired to. If it could simply be paired to a new phone things could get messy. I mean, I always get rid of apps when I switch iPhones.
It’s possible there’s a solution and it’s also possible Apple has something in the works. I don’t have the energy or the resources to solve this for them, even if they would listen.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't think Apple has a thing to worry about in regards to the Fossil Watch. Speaking from my own personal view and experience, the only reason I have an Apple Watch is that I have an iPhone. I think a standalone smartwatch will be nice for some, but I don't think this will impact Apple at all.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
T I think Apple ruined the experience by not allowing it to be restored if it’s paired with a new device.

You mean pairing the same watch with a different phone? When we upgraded to the s3 (I had the original AW) all the apps I had installed on my original were installed on my s3, on the same iPhone. What is there to restore? Take note I don't have any music or photos directly on my watch.

But to get back to the OP, nope, no worries from .

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You mean pairing the same watch with a different phone? When we upgraded to the s3 (I had the original AW) all the apps I had installed on my original were installed on my s3, on the same iPhone. What is there to restore? Take note I don't have any music or photos directly on my watch.

But to get back to the OP, nope, no worries from .

You upgraded your Apple Watch. Nikki was referring to upgrading her phone but keeping the same Apple Watch.
There are definitely things lost in having to start over on a new phone: Settings, Watch faces, apps, complications, etc.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
You upgraded your Apple Watch. Nikki was referring to upgrading her phone but keeping the same Apple Watch.
There are definitely things lost in having to start over on a new phone: Settings, Watch faces, apps, complications, etc.

Ok, so you un-pair the watch from the phone, get a new phone, restore new phone from iCloud backup and re-pair existing watch with new phone. Does the watch reset when you unpair it?

I'm really not being difficult, as I've not done this (yet) but it seems if the watch doesn't reset then it shouldn't need to be restored.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so you un-pair the watch from the phone, get a new phone, restore new phone from iCloud backup and re-pair existing watch with new phone. Does the watch reset when you unpair it?

I'm really not being difficult, as I've not done this (yet) but it seems if the watch doesn't reset then it shouldn't need to be restored.

The watch defaults to factory when you unpair.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
In regards to the thread, not at this time Apple doesn’t need to worry. As Android Wear and other watch OS’s improve, then Apple will need to worry.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The Fossil smartwatch has been out for years. I think there’s a market for all different smart watches based on what the consumer likes. Plus, those of us that aren’t tied to their apple watches need options lol. I’m still not completely sold on mine. I think Apple ruined the experience by not allowing it to be restored if it’s paired with a new device.

Apple Watch has a base, so Apple will be just fine.

I agree to a point, but i think at some point, watch faces or the lack thereof by Apple will come into play sooner than later. If companies like Fossil can provide a good amount of elegant watch faces on their smart watches then at some point people will take advantage of it. They’re not going to want to shell out money for a new watch just to get a new watch face. But then again, I could be completely wrong...(Laughing)

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Unless the Android Wear watches......which I believe Fossil runs I think only Samsung and FitBit have their own OS's......can get notifications and control apps etc. like an Apple watch I don't see how it can have a huge impact overall on Apple Watch. They'd pretty much have to be stand alone LTE enabled units. I don't think anyone has done an LTE watch other than Apple yet?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree to a point, but i think at some point, watch faces or the lack thereof by Apple will come into play sooner than later. If companies like Fossil can provide a good amount of elegant watch faces on their smart watches then at some point people will take advantage of it. They’re not going to want to shell out money for a new watch just to get a new watch face. But then again, I could be completely wrong...(Laughing)

I think Fossil looks more elegant because it looks like a watch. There’s no amount of watch faces that can make the Apple Watch look better than that..IMO. Whenever I want I dress up or something, I usually go for one of my mechanical timepieces. Apple is more of a functional piece..at least for me. With that being said, I still don’t think Apple has anything to worry about because there will always be a base. Plus Apple Watch will probably always work better with iPhones than anything else because that’s exactly how Apple wants it.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It's not just Fossil, all Android Wear watches 2.0 on support iOS. Most 3rd party OS watches do also, such as the TicWatch 2 that I own. (Yea yea, I have an Apple Watch too. ;) )

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they should be worried. The Apple Watch has it's audience that it appeals to and I don't think that audience is going anywhere. If there are features implemented in competing products that make sense to bring to the Apple Watch, I'd hope they pay attention to that. But I don't foresee an offering from Fossil taking over the Apple Watch. From a compatibility standpoint, there is no better watch for the iPhone than the Apple Watch, imo.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73