Do you run Linux in a virtual Machine on your Mac?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello iMore,

My question is does anyone here run Linux on a Virtual Machine (VMWare / Parallels) if so which is your favorite distribution?

I personally always install the latest version of Ubuntu on my Parallels VM, just fun to poke around the OS.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I did early on, but I don't dabble into other OSes like I use to. I'm content with the OS X being the only OS on my machine.

ninjamattic

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I'll run windows as a VM on mine, but most of my Linux stuff is done via terminal and SSH, so there's no need for me to have it native.

iman89

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I had Windows and I scrapped it and put Cinnamon Mint Linux, on my system. Been running faster since. Then again I don't have to run a bunch of security programs in the back ground. But Mac is pretty reliable in my opinion. Unless you just want to play around with Linux, which is fun to try something new every now and then, I don't see the need for you to be on Linux. That is until your computer gets older and doesn't run smooth as when you first bought it. Linux is cool cause you can have the latest OS for free. And the terminal is fun for me. :)

Emmett95

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
How to Install a Linux Operating System to a Flash Drive and Install Portable Versions of Favourite Applications? Anyone know about it

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Not often these days or if so usually an appliance type. The Mac OS and Windows have the UNIX or Linix types of client tools I need as a network administrator. I use VMware over other choices because I administer VMware and Nutanix clusters in my day job.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I was triple booting my MacBook Pro until Windows 8 install tried to take over my Mac’s EFI and clobber my Linux partition. I was using Bootcamp.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I used to use Linux (CentOS) professionally in a VM on Parallels Desktop.

On my personal MacBook Pro, I had Ubuntu on VirtualBox.

Nowadays, I use a Dell laptop for work, and no longer use VMs on my personal device.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have Ubuntu on an Intel NUC on one of my desktop monitors. I try not to use virtual machines.

I get some reasons such as sharing ports or cores and possibly video but at times don't understand some I know who are moving between physical systems or rebooting for some functionality.

I like the Apple continuity and handoff features and get that reminder such as right now when I am at my Retina iMac the preferred work station and the Surface I use to absolutely replicate domain member systems at work.

VMs can be a bit painful on my beloved 12" MacBook. At this point it's not so new in addition to having one core to share and the M processor.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73