Best way to switch from Gmail to iCloud mail

derickson328

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello
After the loss of Google Sync in the near future I've been contemplating switching to iCloud mail services. One question for those knowledgable in the matter is are there any disadvantages to just having gmail forward my email to my iCloud? Seems like manually changing my email with various sources would take an eternity, but I'd take the time if it saved a headache in the end.

Thanks for any advice

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I just did the same things over the past week.

I have forwarded my Gmail to iCloud and upon replies they will have my iCloud email. Personal friends have been asked to update their address list. Work is separate on Google business apps.

I have decided to still keep Gmail active for a while, but iCloud is my main point of contact.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I recommend not emailing everyone and tell them to change your contact email to your iCloud account, but that you just forward your Gmail to your iCloud account, through Gmail settings...very easy to do. That way, if you change your mind, you won't have to contact and bother everyone again. I think it's easy to do the forwarding, and it's seamless to them - you still get them. After I set up the forwarding, I set up a signature on iCloud (both on iOS devices, Macs and icloud.com) to show my new email address. More subtle way to notify folks but it works.

derickson328

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both for your replies!

Does it take any longer to get your emails via forwarding from your gmail since at that point it requires being sent through two servers instead of one, or is it pretty seamless and still quick?

I greatly appreciate the insight and look forward to getting away from gmail eventually

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Not for me. iCloud pushes the messages to my iOS devices and Macs as soon as they're received in the inbox. And Gmail forwards as soon as it hits its box. You should see a slight delay between systems, but if all is working properly, we're talking seconds.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro