Anyone else NOT installing google maps?

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't like google.
I don't like their business model, or the sugar coated advertising prison they are leading us to with their 'free' and 'open' (BS) services and products.

This is easy for me, as Apple maps works flawlessly where I live.
I don't care about/don't use transit or walking directions.
Apple turn by turn works great for me.

The only minor drawback is that Apple Maps does have less data/points of interest etc. No big deal. We managed to find places without digital maps in our pockets for thousands of years. I'll be just fine without it.

Don't be evil? Too late.

P.S. Not capitalizing the name of Sergy and Larrys beast is intentional. And no, I don't use them for search either.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
At first I wasn't going to... but, I decided I should actually use it before deciding I don't really like it and be able to back-up why with specific experience that can only be obtained through use of the app.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
I had to install it. I use maps religiously for traffic data so I can figure out what route to take home each night. Apple maps traffic info was pathetic.

Other than that I have no problem with Apple Maps. I think its quite good. Plus, until Apple allows you to set a mapping application as default, I will need to keep using it for certain situations.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I downloaded it but will probably keep using the Apple Maps. They work well where I live as well. One thing I don't like about the Google Maps is that it likes to prompt you to log in to your google account. I don't care to give them the info of what I'm searching for or my location. However I do use a gmail account for my junk email account. Friends and family email goes to my .me account.

What a marvelous idea. Giving google all my garbage.
I LOVE IT!

ADGrant

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
TomTom uses the same data as Apple maps. Google map data is generally better. It's certainly much better at searching for local businesses in Manhattan.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I download it but have not used it ill use apple unless I can find something ( haven't happen yet ) then I got google as a back up

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I installed it, used it and like it and will more thank likely keep it installed. And I will probably switch back & forth between it and Apple's Maps like I do with Twitter & Tweetbot, Feeddler Pro & Reeder and Chrome & Safari. :)

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Not only installed Google Maps and using it, but using it exclusively (ie: no need to use Apple Maps anymore). And aren't all companies "evil?" Even Apple? ;)

As a side note, I do think it's kind of funny how some of the best iOS apps in recent times all come from Google.

Last edited:

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
TomTom uses the same data as Apple maps. Google map data is generally better. It's certainly much better at searching for local businesses in Manhattan.

Better in Chicago, too. Up until Google Maps' release last week, I'd been using TomTom since all the back to my iPhone 3G (since it's release day years ago) and had been paying the $20 yearly traffic subscription fee. TomTom has served me well over the years but I'd say in the past year and a half or so (?), the reliability had dipped and it's messed up more than a few times. I was getting increasingly frustrated that it was telling me that a certain route had heavy traffic WHILE it was leading me into it. The last straw was eliminating Google Search. Anyway, done ranting. I'm only keeping TomTom for extended road trips (no need to waste so much data with a streaming navigation service). For everything else, I'm using Google Maps.

Last edited:

ADGrant

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
Not only installed Google Maps and using it, but using it exclusively (ie: no need to use Apple Maps anymore). And aren't all companies "evil?" Even Apple? ;)

As a side note, I do think it's kind of funny how some of the best iOS apps in recent times all come from Google.

I am not impressed with the mail app.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I totally agree with you. Aren't most companies interested in having customers "spinning" around their apps/devices? Apple included, that's why we are here.

I also downloaded Google maps I really like it A LOT more than Apple maps since it doesn't work in the places I've been, looks really poor, provides almost no info. While Google gives very complete and accurate information. I plan on keeping it for a long time (at least until Apple maps improves considerably)

seashell93

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm not installing it....mapQuest works for me and has turn by turn directions!

Well, I went ahead and installed it after talking with a friend who had it...it works well, loads a little faster then MQ did and does offer turn by turn and ability to save routes...will keep it for now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices