No More Active Sync?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ya you can do it that way but you must have outlook to make that happen .. No outlook no go

No way to do it via web atleast on windows

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Okay, thanks...:)

ADGrant

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
Exporting & importing the contacts is a piece of cake, but not so much the calendar unless you have a Mac. With the Mac, you can simply import your calendar into iCal and if iCal is synced with iCloud, there is nothing more to do. The imported calendar will automatically appear on your i-device. I love it. The hardest part for me is remembering that not everyone uses Mac computers and sometime it causes me to eat crow...hahaha

I uses the Mac address book to switch from Google Contacts to iCloud about a year ago. How well do emailed calendar appointments work if you use iCloud for the Calendar and gmail for the mail?

The hard part for me is understanding why someone wouldn't use a Mac computer, unless they use a work computer (hopefully business use only).

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I uses the Mac address book to switch from Google Contacts to iCloud about a year ago. How well do emailed calendar appointments work if you use iCloud for the Calendar and gmail for the mail?
I've never had a problems sending or receiving calendar invites via iCloud. The people I sent them to are able to accept and have the invite places into their calendar and vice versa. Also, just before responding to your post, I sent a calendar invite to my gmail account and when I received the alert, I accepted and then the invite was automatically placed in my Google calendar so to answer your question, it works well...:)

The hard part for me is understanding why someone wouldn't use a Mac computer, unless they use a work computer (hopefully business use only).
Macs don't appeal to everyone and the same goes for Windows and Linux. I've used all three but basically for the past (might as well say) 4 years, I've been exclusively using a Mac. I'd have to re-learn Linux and I wouldn't be as fluid with Windows as I once was. I'm definitely a Mac-convert...:)

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
As has been stated, I don't use iCloud because it only works in iDevices. Gmail provided a more universal solution. I have also had my gmail address since day one it became available. I don't like changing addresses often. This move ticks me off in a big way as it is all about the war between the companies.

In terms of a Mac, I have a MacBook Pro at home. I could use Windows or a Mac, and I think both have pros and cons. Usually people who take a position one is far superior to the other don't know the other. Both have come a long way in the last decade. I like to be device and OS flexible in terms of email, calendar and contacts.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I've been reading about this change that Google has decided to make, and I even posted a thread about this, too. Well, before someone pointed me to this thread.

Anyway, for me, I think my solution is to use my Google Apps domain. I'd stopped using it as my main account for a while. But, since I'm a gadget person, and constantly trying different OS', this would probably be the best solution for me.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Less than 24 hours later I'm back on my Google Apps account. I think it is best to keep it there, versus giving everyone a new email address.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Less than 24 hours later I'm back on my Google Apps account. I think it is best to keep it there, versus giving everyone a new email address.

Keep them both! You can always initiate an email message from your iCloud account and any replies will be to it as well. If someone initiates a message for you, it will be to your Gmail account with the exception of the smart ones who will add your iCloud account to their address book and use it...:)... You can also give your iCloud email address to your most trusted recipients or family only.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Flipping brilliant idea!

Keep them both! You can always initiate an email message from your iCloud account and any replies will be to it as well. If someone initiates a message for you, it will be to your Gmail account with the exception of the smart ones who will add your iCloud account to their address book and use it...:)... You can also give your iCloud email address to your most trusted recipients or family only.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
So are we sure that after the 31st existing Google Sync accounts will still function? What if I restore my iPhone and try to set it up again?

I installed the Gmail app but I don't much care for it. I like the native iOS mail app and all my mail in one place.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So are we sure that after the 31st existing Google Sync accounts will still function? What if I restore my iPhone and try to set it up again?

I installed the Gmail app but I don't much care for it. I like the native iOS mail app and all my mail in one place.

It is my understanding that although your current setup will continue working after January 31st, whenever you attempt to set it up again, you will have to use an alternate method or use the Gmail app.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
It is my understanding that although your current setup will continue working after January 31st, whenever you attempt to set it up again, you will have to use an alternate method or use the Gmail app.

JMD,
Which way would you choose to set up Gmail after the 31st assuming you didn't use Gmail in conjunction with iCloud email as I know you've mentioned before?
TIA

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
JMD,
Which way would you choose to set up Gmail after the 31st assuming you didn't use Gmail in conjunction with iCloud email as I know you've mentioned before?
TIA

Once iOS 6.1 drops, and I'm assuming after January 31st, I will initially attempt to set it up via exchange just to see if it'll let me. If not, I will probably set it up via the Gmail setup until the actual Gmail app allows us to increase the font size and then I will probably start using it at that point. With iCloud being my primary account, push email is not a "necessity" with my gmail account anyway.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Once iOS 6.1 drops, and I'm assuming after January 31st, I will initially attempt to set it up via exchange just to see if it'll let me. If not, I will probably set it up via the Gmail setup until the actual Gmail app allows us to increase the font size and then I will probably start using it at that point. With iCloud being my primary account, push email is not a "necessity" with my gmail account anyway.
JMD,
Gmail setup - does it push?
Gmail App - does it push?
TIA

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
JMD,
Gmail setup - does it push?
Gmail App - does it push?
TIA

Mail is not pushed using the default gmail setup, but it is pushed via the Gmail app. The app is actually very well made and easy to use. My only gripe was the size of the font. It was just too small for "my" liking and no setting to increase its size.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Mail is not pushed using the default gmail setup, but it is pushed via the Gmail app. The app is actually very well made and easy to use. My only gripe was the size of the font. It was just too small for "my" liking and no setting to increase its size.

Got it,
Tks JMD

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
As an FYI--I had to contact them about my Google Apps not working right last weekend and they told me outright that they are going to start cutting off existing "grandfathered" connections soon too, like working for as soon as the next updates. Mine worked fine til the last update, and suddenly didn't. Then I ended up with a new phone anyway, so it's moot now. But my Apps account should have anyway, so I had to get that handled. That works fine again, but while I was working on that issue, I addressed the whole exchange thing and how I felt that was a bad idea, and they said they are prioritizing the app over all, and that all exchange will cease to work soon. When I pressed it is when the person went further on it.

I did give the app a whirl and I don't care for it, simply bec I prefer to use the app that came with the phone. But I hope that Apple gets on some kind of true IMAP/Push solution for Gmail users soon so I don't have to roll all my crap into my Apps account or ditch all Gmail stuff and roll my apps accounts back to my host again for real IMAP like it was before I switched it to Apps last year.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner