Gmail and multiple addresses

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
On my own domain, I use multiple addresses, one personal and one professional. In Gmail via the web UI I have those addresses configured and can send from them in the GMail web UI, Thunderbird on my PC and the GMail app on my Droid (eventually to be replaced by the next iPhone). But I cannot figure out how to do this on iOS. I am currently using the iOS built-in email client on both an iPad2 and an iPod Touch 3rd gen.

As an FYI, I tried the official Google GMail app, and it does not seem to pull my multiple configured addresses off the server.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
The only way I've made this work on iOS is to set it up on Mail.app on Mac (address1,address2) and sync the settings over.

Even then it didn't end up being worth the effort. Now I've set up a separate personal and work address, and set up both accounts separately.

Ended up being better all around.

(Though Google multiple account support still sucks and makes life difficult on a daily basis)

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way, from a single Inbox interface, be able to choose the From address? I can do that from my desktop, GMail web, my Droid, the Crapberry, and I think I did it on iOS3 (iPhone 3G)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way, from a single Inbox interface, be able to choose the From address? I can do that from my desktop, GMail web, my Droid, the Crapberry, and I think I did it on iOS3 (iPhone 3G)

Yes, you can do that from iOS 5.1. I do it all the time.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You're talking about using different "send as" addresses? To do it in the native iOS app you have to enter each as its own mail account?then you can tap the From: line to switch accounts in each email.

Unfortunately, if you have those accounts set to all funnel into one inbox, you might end up with duplicated mails. You could try turning off inbox syncing for those.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
You're talking about using different "send as" addresses? To do it in the native iOS app you have to enter each as its own mail account?then you can tap the From: line to switch accounts in each email.

Unfortunately, if you have those accounts set to all funnel into one inbox, you might end up with duplicated mails. You could try turning off inbox syncing for those.

Unless I'm consistently overlooking something, the only place to enter my email address in the GMail setup is the GMail account address, which is neither of my domain-hosted addresses. Trying to setup two "other" accounts, it will not let me configure two accounts with the same login. And I have no "From" field visible when composing email on the iPad.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
You can set up gmail under the Exchange option in mail.

http://www.imore.com/2011/02/16/beginner-tip-setup-gmail-exchange-push-emails/

And to reveal the From field you may need to first tap on the cc/bcc field. (And you may need to have multiple accounts set up first.)
Still doesn't allow me to choose the From address.

However, it appears that the office GMail app does, I decided to give it a try despite the lukewarm rating, and eventually found the function. Good thing I'm only accessing one source of email from the mobile.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Still doesn't allow me to choose the From address.

However, it appears that the office GMail app does, I decided to give it a try despite the lukewarm rating, and eventually found the function. Good thing I'm only accessing one source of email from the mobile.

I guess I must be misunderstanding you then...if you're only accessing one source of email, then there wouldn't be any other From addresses to choose from. (As I mentioned above, you need to add them as separate accounts--it won't pick up on any "Send As" settings you have set up in Gmail.) See here for a walkthrough on what I mean--here is on of the photos from the article:

Tap_the_From_address_again_and_choose_the_new_From_addres.png

Hope that helps!

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I have Gmail setup as an Exchange account and I can choose the "From" field for new emails. Tap on the cc, bcc & from line. Then tap the "From" and a menu will popup for you to choose which account you want to send from.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I have Gmail setup as an Exchange account and I can choose the "From" field for new emails. Tap on the cc, bcc & from line. Then tap the "From" and a menu will popup for you to choose which account you want to send from.

But within those Gmail accounts, do you have any that use Send As addresses that aren't set up on your device? That's my biggest issue with iOS mail. In other words, I have 3 Gmail accounts set up on my iPhone:

Account A
Account B
Account C: this account is set up so that when using it on my laptop, I can choose between 8 different "From:" addresses.

However, when changing the From address in my iPhone mail app, I can only choose between the 3 accounts listed above, because they're the only ones set up on my device--it doesn't recognize the alternate address options in Account C; to use those I have to access Gmail on the web.

If you've found a way around that, I'd love to know!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
But within those Gmail accounts, do you have any that use Send As addresses that aren't set up on your device? That's my biggest issue with iOS mail. In other words, I have 3 Gmail accounts set up on my iPhone:

Account A
Account B
Account C: this account is set up so that when using it on my laptop, I can choose between 8 different "From:" addresses.

However, when changing the From address in my iPhone mail app, I can only choose between the 3 accounts listed above, because they're the only ones set up on my device--it doesn't recognize the alternate address options in Account C; to use those I have to access Gmail on the web.

If you've found a way around that, I'd love to know!

No, this cannot be accomplished as-is.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

True, but as Massie stated, you can only select from accounts you've setup on your device which is arguably sufficient for a majority of users, however, others want/need the ability to insert an address in the From field that isn't configured on the device for various reasons. Spamming comes to mind, as well as legitimate reasons mentioned in the previous posts.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
For me, it's due to my freelance work?I use different addresses for different businesses, but have them all funnel into one Inbox.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the Sparrow mail app may have a feature that does something like what we're discussing. I'll have to look into that.

(By the way: if you open Gmail in the Safari app, it will respect the From address in mail you reply to. Still can't change the address within the account, but you can at least respond from the correct address that way.)

Last edited:

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I guess I must be misunderstanding you then...if you're only accessing one source of email, then there wouldn't be any other From addresses to choose from. (As I mentioned above, you need to add them as separate accounts--it won't pick up on any "Send As" settings you have set up in Gmail.) See here for a walkthrough on what I mean--here is on of the photos from the article:

Click to view quoted image

Hope that helps!
I did try configuring multiple accounts in the mail app, and disabling the mail retrieval of all but one to avoid duplicate mails. And I still had no option to change the From / Send As on outbound emails. I tried configuring using the Exchange option, etc. If the multiple accounts need to be the same type of account (ie, POP vs IMAP) the mail app will not let me do that, it complains that I already have that account configured. I have one mailbox configured on my mail host that gets all email sent to my domain. And because I was having essentially this same issue on my Droid, I started using GMail about a year ago.

@sherlock, there is no such option that I can find. The mail app will not let me set up a clone account with a different email address but the same servers and login.

For my purposes, it looks like the Google official GMail app does what I need. My contacts sync via iTunes set to use Gmail for contacts and/or I found an app that syncs GMail contacts to the device, and Calengoo syncs Google Calendars much better than the native.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods