Best Gmail Settings?

GulfCoastToad

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
could you post a screenshot? if this is so, i may have to go back to exchange. thanks!

Cobra's link was a little confusing. The actual information is on that page, but difficult to find. Here it is:

On your iOS device, go to m.google.com/sync.
Select your device.

467d9022-e0ec-083d.jpg

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I just have it setup so Gmail is auto-forwarded to my iCloud email. Then no worries on having to setup Gmail settings either way. Not for everyone, but works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk.

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow -- I've been using imap for years because I thought gmail exchange on an iOS device wouldn't delete properly. Going to have to check this out!

Also interested in what the send mail as checkbox does...

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
The answer to the send mail as checkbox is about half way down this page:
http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

Also, it sounds like delete might work as expected according to this:

"When using Google Sync, certain actions in Gmail may have a different behavior than you're used to. For instance, if you "delete" a message from your Inbox, the default action is that it will archive the message and not delete it. To delete the message, you need to select Enable "Delete Email As Trash" for this device in your Google Sync settings. See our complete list of how actions taken on your device affect your Gmail interface."

But then the complete list of actions suggests that it won't work...
http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=161771

Going to try it out...

Reactions: TurboTiger

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
The answer to the send mail as checkbox is about half way down this page:
Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device - Google Mobile Help

Also, it sounds like delete might work as expected according to this:

"When using Google Sync, certain actions in Gmail may have a different behavior than you're used to. For instance, if you "delete" a message from your Inbox, the default action is that it will archive the message and not delete it. To delete the message, you need to select Enable "Delete Email As Trash" for this device in your Google Sync settings. See our complete list of how actions taken on your device affect your Gmail interface."

But then the complete list of actions suggests that it won't work...
Using Gmail Features - Google Mobile Help

Going to try it out...

Tks for the info reltm.

It helped

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Hey Guys,
My delete Trash function is a bit squirrelly. Sometimes is works and sometimes it doesn't. Deletes them for about a few seconds then reloads the trash folder.

Anyone else?
TIA

Reactions: T_Squared

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. That's a bummer. I didn't have that happen, but after all the excitement I went back to IMAP. I'm almost ashamed to say it! Exchange was quicker loading and checking, but it didn't always push very fast. Sometimes it would take ten minutes for a message to arrive, at which point I may as well just go back to IMAP. With IMAP my whole inbox loads (not just the last 30 days -- yeah I know, got some old messages in there). And IMAP syncs drafts.

This may not be that helpful, but even though the notifications for push on the gmail app don't work, the app badge status changes when a new message comes in. So I have the gmail app with app badge to tell me if there's a new message. Pretty lame, but at least I know it shows current new message numbers without having to open the app.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2