Gmail Exchange contact label issue

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
This is certainly not a big deal, but I just noticed this and was wondering if this is a bug or something.

Yesterday I set up Gmail as an Exchange account and everything seems to be working great. But when I elected to sync contacts, I noticed that I lost the ability to edit labels for email addresses (e.g. work, home, etc.). I can still do it for phone numbers, but not for emails. Does anyone know why that is?

Thanks in advance.

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Hm. Navigate to contact--> click edit-->click label next to email-->doesn't do anything?

Nope. Since the switch to Exchange all the labels show "email" without me being able to change them. Funny enough when go to the Google Contacts page, all the email labels are correct...they just don't seem to translate to the contacts on my iPhone.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I've always had issues with iPhone<-->cloud contact syncing...which is why I just don't. But, I do sync with my laptop often enough, that all my contacts get updated on the cloud (I have Address Book set up to do so). I'll set up to sync with Exchange on my phone so I can see if I can replicate it.

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
I've always had issues with iPhone<-->cloud contact syncing...which is why I just don't. But, I do sync with my laptop often enough, that all my contacts get updated on the cloud (I have Address Book set up to do so). I'll set up to sync with Exchange on my phone so I can see if I can replicate it.

Thanks, dude, appreciate the effort.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
That's really weird. I wasn't able to replicate this issue. Maybe try cycling turning off and back on contact syncing. May be something with Gmail's Exchange server.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Nah. It's just Gmail. I tested out my hypothesis, and I was able to replicate what you're seeing. Apparently they don't actually have any sort of Exchange server, rather they're just faking it, and that's how they're able to sync data. Which is probably also why contacts won't sync quite right.

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Well thanks for verifying this. Maybe they'll find a fix at some point. In the meantime, no email labels is a small price to pay for Gmail push :)

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
In a related question...

In iTunes I have the option enabled to sync the phone with Google Contacts (I believe that's under the "info" tab). Is that now redundant since I sync via Exchange?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2