iPhone OS 4.0 Gmail odd archive only issue?

Enders

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that with the new OS 4.0 Gmail doesn't automatically delete an e-mail when you simply swipe from your inbox. It actually archives the email into the "All Mail" section. There IS an option that lets you turn off the Archive function so that when you swipe the email it says DELETE instead of ARCHIVE.

However even with the archive function switched off in the mail account settings of the iPhone. E-mails that I swipe delete still get archived and I need to actually go into ALL MAIL to delete them again.

Anyone else know if this is normal or an actual issue Apple is looking at?:confused:

catadjuster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed this today on my phone, not sure if it's been there ever since I updated to 4.01 or if a setting just got changed somewhere.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Are you talking about Gmail via the web app, or using Gmail in the native mail app? I use it via Exchange, and the only relevant option I have under Settings is "Ask Before Deleting"--no option to Archive or not.

If I go into the web app, I see the Archive label when swiping, but can't find the Settings dialog. At any rate, yes, this is now the default Gmail behavior under iOS 4.

killthelights32

Apr 26, 2009
Visit site
This isn't new to iOS 4. I have had this issue since 3.0 I haven't figurred out why it does this, but my workaround is this.

*Go to gmail on your desktop and create a 'To Delete' foler/label

On your iPhone, simply move messages you want to delete to that folder, and delete them later on your desktop/web browser. It kinda sucks that this is what I have to do but I found it much more annoying to have to go through the 'All Mail' label and find the messages that were meant for the trash.

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I use google sync through exchange and my messages get archived and not deleted. I don't see any options to change this either.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
ok heres what you need to do go into your gmail account on your comp then settings then labs then turn on advanced imap controls. then go into folders and you can now disable and delete folders you could not before then just disable all mail from showing in imap this is how i finally fixed it for my iphone and my mail app on my imac.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2