So I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro and it has 4 gb ram and a 500 SATA hard drive. The other day I was at the Apple Store and I saw how fast and smooth the current generation of the MacBook Pro is. If I upgrade the ram would that improve speed? Because my Mac is still good for what I use it for just not as fast. I heard the bigger the ram it tends to be better and my Pro doesn't open the apps as fast as possible. And I am in a complete reformatted Hard drive with clean install of Yosemite. Still has a problem where the apps take a couple more seconds to load my apps.
    07-15-2015 02:24 PM
    If it’s faster memory, it will make a difference, but don’t expect a miraculous improvement.
    07-15-2015 03:18 PM
    So I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro and it has 4 gb ram and a 500 SATA hard drive. The other day I was at the Apple Store and I saw how fast and smooth the current generation of the MacBook Pro is. If I upgrade the ram would that improve speed? Because my Mac is still good for what I use it for just not as fast. I heard the bigger the ram it tends to be better and my Pro doesn't open the apps as fast as possible. And I am in a complete reformatted Hard drive with clean install of Yosemite. Still has a problem where the apps take a couple more seconds to load my apps.
    The things that would give your Mac a noticeable performance boost would more hi-speed RAM (say, 8GB) and a nice solid state drive a Samsung 840 or 850. More RAM and an SSD seem to be the magic bullet for extracting the best performances from a laptop in my experience. I had a 2010 MBP and it made a very tangible difference.
    07-15-2015 03:22 PM