Mail doesn't seem to push anything. It pushes to my phone, but the computer doesn't get any email unless I open up the Mail App. Any way to get push email short of moving everything back to Outlook.com and using EAS with that.

Everything else pushes to the phone, but the email experience is quite, painful because it seems like it doesn't get anything unless you're running the Mail app all the time and occasionally force it to check the account to avoid missing important emails.

Not interested in third party applications.
    01-25-2015 08:19 PM
    On computer are you actually opening Mail each time? For me... iCloud mail arrives on iPad, iPhone and MacBook almost simultaneously... The mail app on computer is open, minimized to the task bar...
    01-25-2015 08:31 PM
    EDIT: Found the information I needed via a Web Search.

Disappointing.
    01-25-2015 08:50 PM
    I think mail notifications do get pushed. I leave Mail open all the time, but ill often notice that I get the notification banner and alert tone a couple of seconds before the badge shows up on the Mail icon.
    01-25-2015 08:55 PM
    They aren't. They're only pushed on iOS devices.

OS X uses IMAP IDLE to receive mail, which requires the Mail app to be running otherwise you don't receive anything, notifications or otherwise.

It's in some Apple support documents that I found while searching around last night.
    01-26-2015 11:38 PM
    They aren't. They're only pushed on iOS devices.

OS X uses IMAP IDLE to receive mail, which requires the Mail app to be running otherwise you don't receive anything, notifications or otherwise.

It's in some Apple support documents that I found while searching around last night.
    That's correct. Push is only on iOS not on OSX. But if you keep the Mail client minimised, IMAP IDLE is as good as Push.
    01-27-2015 03:06 AM
    Not sure how that would be different from Outlook on my laptop. I only get the ding when the app is minimised. So I would have the same expectation on my upcoming MBP.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 01-27-2015 at 06:43 AM.
    01-27-2015 05:34 AM
    Not sure how that would be different from Outlook on my laptop. I only get the ding when the app is minimised. So I would have the same expectation on my upcoming MBP.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    Windows 8.x has been out for almost 3 years now? I got it on Day 1 it was released.

It has a Mail client built into it, as well as Calendar and Contacts. It uses EAS for Outlook.com, and runs as a service in the background. There is no need to "Open and Minimize" it to get PIM data pushed to a Windows PC. In fact, when you open it for the first time, it asks you if it's okay for it to run in the background to retrieve things and give you notifications. It's not something a user should have to think about.

I just checked with an iCloud account in the Windows 8.1 mail app, and after a reboot I still got email notifications for the iCloud IMAP account without even touching the Windows Mail app... I don't even use Outlook 2013 unless I'm doing stuff with Tasks for that very reason... The H&S version of Office doesn't even come with Outlook, because it's unnecessary for those users.

I will check and see if EAS with Outlook.com in OS X gives a similar user experience. If so, I'll switch everything over and drop iCloud PIM.
    02-15-2015 11:04 AM