Custom ringtones in Facetime (Yosemite)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Now that Yosemite and iOS 8 are bringing us continuity and handoff, Apple has also given us another problem.

If I get a phone call on my iPhone, I hear a custom ringtone - both the custom "default" ringtone, and custom specific ringtones for individual contacts. However, Facetime (and Facetime Audio) have their own set of ringtones, and no way to add custom ringtones (at least not as far as I have seen).

So now when I get a call, my iPhone sounds the custom ringtone and my rMBP plays another.

Has anyone discovered how to change the ringtones in Yosemite to allow custom ringtones for phone calls?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have Yosemite installed to be able to experiment with custom ringtones. Sorry.

asriznet

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Now that Yosemite and iOS 8 are bringing us continuity and handoff, Apple has also given us another problem.

If I get a phone call on my iPhone, I hear a custom ringtone - both the custom "default" ringtone, and custom specific ringtones for individual contacts. However, Facetime (and Facetime Audio) have their own set of ringtones, and no way to add custom ringtones (at least not as far as I have seen).

So now when I get a call, my iPhone sounds the custom ringtone and my rMBP plays another.

Has anyone discovered how to change the ringtones in Yosemite to allow custom ringtones for phone calls?

I managed to locate the directory where facetime stores the ringtones
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ToneLibrary.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Ringtones/

I tried to add a custom m4r file into that directory however facetime does not recognized it.
The only way I can get it to work for now is renaming 1 of the existing ringtone to Beacon.m4r -> Beacon-backup.m4r then rename my custom ringtone to Beacon.m4r.

Facetime plays the custom ringtone thinking it's one of the default ringtone file.

Maybe someone can play around further to add-on custom ringtones to the list rather than messing with the default files.

HowieIsaacks

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
After adding the custom ringtone, make sure that it has the right permissions assigned to it. The owner needs to be System, and the group assigned to it needs to be Wheel. To change the permissions, open terminal and type in sudo chown root:wheel /PathToYourRingTone. Hit return. You'll be asked for your password. Any time add something manually to either /System/Library, or /Library, you should always make the permissions match those of the other system level files.

LuckyDuke

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
all you have to do is to open Facetime and go to Facetime settings in menubar. There you can change the ringtone. Once you receive an incoming call on your iPhone the new ringtone will play on your Mac.

thejasonhowell

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
all you have to do is to open Facetime and go to Facetime settings in menubar. There you can change the ringtone. Once you receive an incoming call on your iPhone the new ringtone will play on your Mac.

If you bothered to read, you'd know that the goal is to set the ring tone to your own sound, not something that ships default with Yosemite.

Sent from my T-Mobile iPhone 5c using Tapatalk

rikb

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
You need to also edit the plist for the ringtones for it to show up in the selection.
Here is the path for the plist.

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ToneKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/TKRingtones.plist

MontySoprano

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
1. Copy the path from the rikb post dated 12/1/2014.
2. Open Terminal
3. Type ?cd ? and Command V the path from step 1
4. Type ?sudo chmod 777 TKRingtones.plist? (without the quotes) and press return
5. Enter ?nano TKRingtones.plist? (without the quotes) and press return.
6. Add lines just like the one you entered with me
7. Exit nano ( you will be prompted to save the file).
8. Enter ?sudo chmod 644 TKRingtones.plist? (without the quotes and press return.

Texican1911

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I did all the things listed above, including changing the TKRingtone files. Works, shows up like it should, owned by system, yatta yatta. Thanks for how to do all that.

Here's where the problem is. I have the same ringtone/text tone combo for my girlfriend on my phone and on the computer. But when I set one, the other (phone/computer) reverts to default immediately. Change the ringtone on the phone, the ringtone on the contact on the computer changes to "opening". Change the ringtone on the computer BACK to the right ring tone, the phone changes to "opening". It's instantaneous. If I turn wifi off and do it, as soon as I turn wifi back on it does it. The tones have the same name, what is going on?

Texican1911

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I changed the file names on the computer, that didn't work. If I change the tone selection to factory tones, it sets both of them to the same tone, if I set it to a custom one on either device, the other goes to default.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen