Yosemite Developer Preview 7 out - discuss issues/workarounds/discoveries here

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Wow, so much faster! ... Overall the system is much more responsive, and calling out via the contacts app (through iPhone handoff) is actually working now. Love that I can type a url into the browser without any delays. I haven't found any issues yet. Loving this build!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Wow, so much faster! ... Overall the system is much more responsive, and calling out via the contacts app (through iPhone handoff) is actually working now. Love that I can type a url into the browser without any delays. I haven't found any issues yet. Loving this build!
Good to hear... hope they do a release for the Public Beta soon...

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Good to hear... hope they do a release for the Public Beta soon...

Me too, it is a very dramatic improvement in speed of the OS. I was noticing that my computer felt a little slower than my wife's who is running mavericks. With this update it feels hmmm, I would say 25% faster with animations etc. Loving it!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Anybody rocking this on their daily driver? I have it on an older (2010) MacBook, but still a bit reluctant to make the jump on my new MBA.

mbar9607

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
i have it on my daily driver and only issue ive had was with bluetooth but since beta7 it seems to be fixed

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Anybody rocking this on their daily driver? I have it on an older (2010) MacBook, but still a bit reluctant to make the jump on my new MBA.

I have been using it on my daily driver. iMac mid 2010. Noticed it got more and more sluggish as I updated but my ram was only 4gigs. I upgraded the ram to 12gigs and it's so much faster.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
just finished install= seems good- the last beta every time I restarted the finder program would go wonky- had to relaunch a few times to get it to stop- that didn't happen with this one.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I did the deed. Thanks for the input. As I said, I’ve been running it on an older MacBook. When I upgraded my rMBP, I noticed a couple of things. First, it wanted to encrypt my hard drive. My first thought was no thanks - using developer preview/beta software to encrypt your disk seems like taking an unnecessary risk. I can go back and encrypt it later. The second thing is that almost all of my Mail rules are gone. That pi$$ed me off, but it’s not something that would be a "show stopper". It just made more work for me. Grrrr.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I did the update this afternoon on my rMBP, and am having a couple of issues. I cannot get any of the handoff or continuity to work. On my MB, I can get text messages that are not iMessage based. But I cannot get this to work on the rMBP. The same with phone calls. The iMessages Preference screens and screen contents are identical between the two machines.

None of the app handoff is working either, but I’ve seen conflicting reports that it may/may not work based on the fact that we are now on DP7, but iOS 8 is beta 5. At one point handoff required matching release levels. Not sure, though, since there’s no beta 6 or 7. Does handoff work for anyone?

Last edited:

fpiedad

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else having problems storing data to external SSD drive connected via USB? When I drag a file to the USB drive it crashes Finder.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
After trying out an OS X beta several years ago on my main machine, I could not agree with you more. Not being a developer, I signed up for the public beta test program when they announced it, just to get my name in line in case I decided to do it. But when I got the e-mail I felt no desire to jump on the "opportunity." I didn't do install it on either my desktop or my MBA (which I also use regularly, so it's basically a second main machine). Kinda glad I didn't install it, especially as Apple decided not to give their public beta testers the same love they've given to their developer testers (what is it, seven releases to payed devs vs. only two to beta seed folks? Not that I'm keeping score...:))

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
After trying out an OS X beta several years ago on my main machine, I could not agree with you more. Not being a developer, I signed up for the public beta test program when they announced it, just to get my name in line in case I decided to do it. But when I got the e-mail I felt no desire to jump on the "opportunity." I didn't do install it on either my desktop or my MBA (which I also use regularly, so it's basically a second main machine). Kinda glad I didn't install it, especially as Apple decided not to give their public beta testers the same love they've given to their developer testers (what is it, seven releases to payed devs vs. only two to beta seed folks? Not that I'm keeping score...:))

There’s a very good reason for that lack of "love" from Apple. Public beta has to be more stable, as it’s made available to all comers who want it. The Developer Preview have a specific purpose - to provide developers with a working version for their use in developing and testing their apps. It’s also a safe bet that "developers" are much more tech savvy than the average consumer who simply want the latest/greatest early. When things go wrong, developers tend to be more technically capable of sorting out issues and getting their systems up and running again.

The whole Public Beta thing is new. Apple has only done one public beta in the past - and it was (1) a paid program and (2) a very long time ago.

It is what it is. No need to feel unloved by Apple. They are just trying to protect your experience.

And FWIW, I did to the upgrade on my rMBP. After a couple of issues, it’s running well - smooth and stable.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else experiencing the disappearing Notification Center icon?

If I haven’t accessed NC for a period of time, the icon disappears from the Menu Bar. If I click on the space where the icon is (supposed to be), it opens NC, and the icon is restored for a period of time... until it disappears again.

View attachment 63965 View attachment 63966