Has anyone figured out how to turn on Dark Mode in 10.10 yet?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I got iMessage to send an SMS to a non-phone. To work, I had to have my notebook and iPhone on the same WiFi network. If the notebook was connected via Ethernet, and the phone on Wi-Fi, then it would give the user is not registered error.

What iOS is your iPhone on

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Apparently this guy has:

How to enable Yosemite's hidden dark mode | Cult of Mac

Beta testers eager to try out the the new OS X 10.10 feature were disappointed to find out it didn’t make it into the first Yosemite beta, but our friend Jean-David Gadina, a developer at DigiDNA, has done some digging into the OS X Yosemite beta and discovered a new file not present in Mavericks that can be manipulated to enable the hidden dark mode feature.

• Open your /System/Library folder by clicking Go >> Computer on the Apple menu bar, click your Yosemite drive then go to System >> Library
  • Open the CoreServices folder
  • Right click SystemAppearance.bundle and choose Show Package Contents
  • Open Content >> Resources
  • Rename “DarkAppearance.car” to “GraphiteAppearance.car”
  • Open System Preference >> General
  • Under Appearance switch from Blue to Graphite
  • Logout and log back in
Jean-David notes that the dark theme is clearly not finished – hence its omission from the first Yosemite beta. A lot of stuff is missing in the dark interface so only a few controls get the new dark look, while windows and menus keep the default light grey background.
However, the DarkAppearance.car file is very interesting because it uses the same system as the one used in iOS 7 & 8, which should allow people to build their own “.car” theme files in the future.

For those wondering about the .CAR files, they contain definitions for the appearance of all UI elements of OS X. According to Jean-David’s research, it looks like they are built by the “distiller” utility Apple added in Mavericks, that can be found in a private framework called “CoreThemeDefinition.”
Once you’ve had your fill of partial darkness, revert back to the Blue appearance and fix the .car file names to their original state.

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I got Dark Mode to work all you do is turn your Mac on

then walk over to the light switch and turn it off :rotfl: it only works at night though (sorry I couldn't resist)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if anyone has seen this but there's a simple Terminal command to get it working roughly *apparently including the link marks the post as spam so message me or something it's on Appleinsider*

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if anyone has seen this but there's a simple Terminal command to get it working roughly *apparently including the link marks the post as spam so message me or something it's on Appleinsider*

Apple unveiled a new “dark mode” for OS X Yosemite during the company’s WWDC keynote earlier this month, but the feature has thus far been absent from the first two developer builds. Today, however, developer Hamza Sood discovered that a partially-functional Dark Mode could be enabled in the second Yosemite beta with a Terminal command.

To try the feature, head to Terminal on a Mac running OS X Yosemite Beta 2 and enter the following command:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences AppleInterfaceTheme Dark

This implementation gives developers a peak at the final version of Dark Mode, although in its current form it is incomplete, with several bugs readily apparent. To disable Dark Mode and revert to the default Yosemite color scheme, head back to Terminal and use this command:
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences AppleInterfaceTheme Dark

If the above command doesn’t work, try this:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences AppleInterfaceTheme Light

You’ll need to log out of your user account or reboot your Mac to see the change in either case.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm liking the standard look, but the dark is also looking good.

I really like the look of Yosemite. But I’ve been running in "dark mode" since it appeared back about DP 4 or 5. Little by little, the publishers of the menu bar apps that I run have embraced it and made their menu bar icons compatible. It just looks right to me.

View attachment 68710

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal