Widgets

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think Apple should bring widgets to the new OS X. There are a couple of good reasons why OS X is perfect for it. When I say widgets I mean proper widgets and in a way that Apple would do it properly. If you've ever used Windows 7 their ideas of widgets on the desktop were good it just wasn't implimented properly as is usually the case with Windows. However it is nice to have them because they give the user easily accessible information, glanceable information and all without the user doing any work. As time goes on launching an app to get information is just becoming a useless step and in the case of some things like weather, game scores, news, etc. it's even more so. On a mobile device the smaller screen, limited realestate, way the OS works and power constraints means it's not the right fit IMO. On a computer however there are more reasons that it makes sense. The user is usually multi-tasking, busy, it's got better power options(plugged in or longer battery life). Someone might argue that the Dashboard has been around on Mac OS and no one used it much. However Microsoft's implimentation of widgets was better than Dashboard and that's not saying much. I'm talking about widgets that are on your desktop all the time, updating and sitting in plain view. So if a user minimizes a window the weather info is right there. It's useful and requires nothing from the users. I love how beautiful the weather app on the iPhone is but I have opened it once in all the time I have owned my iPhone. The effort to look for and open the app I could just step out my front door. The same can be said for game scores they are all over the internet but if you could have a little window floating on your desktop with game scores updating all the time and pictures of great plays during the game it's something that would be a nice addition I think.

A basic example
OS X.jpg

Last edited:

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I think I would love widgets on my Mac. The homepage to the left has widgets but I forget about it most of the time and they lack support.

bdkennedy1002

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Widgets fail because they have to be constantly maintained. Microsoft tried widgets back in the Windows 95 / IE4 days when they tried to turn the desktop into a web browser, which failed. Apple barely updates their own widgets.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73