Hi

I erased an iMac (late 2009, 21.5) with the aim of selling it.
    However, now, re-installing Sierra fails. The last error message in the Log file is: "Failed to mount outter-dmg at /Volumes/blabla/macOS Install Data/InstallESD.dmg".
    I was in contact with Apple support and we tried a bootable installer via the Terminal. But this does not work either, I get a "-bash: sudo: command not found" error message. They say I have to bring the iMac to a store. Not really an option as that would cost more than what I will probably get by selling it.
    So I am hoping there are some pros around here who can help.

Regards,

Christophe
    01-21-2023 02:53 PM
    Hello Christophe,

Try running the command Apple provided, but without the sudo in front. If you're in Recovery Mode, that command does not exist.

To find the command again, you can look at this document: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201372

Also, if you have another Mac, you can generate the USB install drive from another computer.
    01-21-2023 04:31 PM
    Hi Ed,

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I tried to generate the installer from my MBP and it still fails:

Last login: Sat Jan 21 13:19:43 on console

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
    To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.
    For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.
    (base) Christophes-MacBook-Pro:~ cpical$ sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/My Passport for Mac
    Password:
    sudo: /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found
    (base) Christophes-MacBook-Pro:~ cpical$ /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/My Passport for Mac
    -bash: /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: No such file or directory
    (base) Christophes-MacBook-Pro:~ cpical$ chsh -s /bin/zsh
    Changing shell for cpical.
    Password for cpical:
    (base) Christophes-MacBook-Pro:~ cpical$ sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/My Passport for Mac
    sudo: /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found
    (base) Christophes-MacBook-Pro:~ cpical$

Any idea why?
    01-21-2023 05:28 PM
    Hi Ed,

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I tried to generate the installer from my MBP and it still fails:

Last login: Sat Jan 21 13:19:43 on console

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
    To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.
    For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.
    Password:
    (base) Christophes-MacBook-Pro:~ cpical$ /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/My Passport for Mac
    -bash: /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: No such file or directory
    (base) Christophes-MacBook-Pro:~ cpical$ chsh -s /bin/zsh
    Changing shell for cpical.
    Password for cpical:
    (base) Christophes-MacBook-Pro:~ cpical$

Any idea why?
    Can you go into your Applications folder, and check if you have the “Install macOS High Sierra” app present? If it’s not there, you need to download it first from the App Store.
    Just_Me_D and Annie_M like this.
    01-21-2023 08:25 PM
    Hi Ed,

Thanks a lot!!!!
    It worked.
    I must say I usually wear my thinking brain but left it aside a bit on this occasion.
    I am a bit disappointed with Apple's support, I must say. They should have been able to guide me like you did.
    Anyway, it ends well and I can now sell this iMac.

Regards,

Christophe
    Just_Me_D, Annie_M and Ed7789 like this.
    01-21-2023 11:46 PM
    Hi Ed,

Thanks a lot!!!!
    It worked.
    I must say I usually wear my thinking brain but left it aside a bit on this occasion.
    I am a bit disappointed with Apple's support, I must say. They should have been able to guide me like you did.
    Anyway, it ends well and I can now sell this iMac.

Regards,

Christophe
    Just wanted to say hello and welcome to iMore!
    01-22-2023 10:40 AM
    Hi Annie,

Thanks for the welcome.
    I did not introduce myself in the dedicated thread, sorry.
    This was quite an urgent request, and wanted it sorted asap, if possible.
    I will introduce myself now/soon.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    01-23-2023 01:57 AM