Macbook Air Account Locked

Philip Fisher

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a MacBook Air (M1) model and the localadmin account is locked. This account is the only one on the computer with admin rights. It does have a teacher (mobile) account and the teacher can sign in. It is connected to an AD server. This computer is running Big Sur and was not upgrade from a previous macOS.

I did restart computer and tried SMC which it didn't work. I tried to invoke Recovery and that didn't work either.

I am going to wait the 24 hour period to see if that works or not.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a MacBook Air (M1) model and the localadmin account is locked. This account is the only one on the computer with admin rights. It does have a teacher (mobile) account and the teacher can sign in. It is connected to an AD server. This computer is running Big Sur and was not upgrade from a previous macOS.

I did restart computer and tried SMC which it didn't work. I tried to invoke Recovery and that didn't work either.

I am going to wait the 24 hour period to see if that works or not.

Is the device managed? I don't know what you mean by a teacher mobile account but I know ABM, Cisco MDM and understand ABM to be like the education infrastructure.

There's a reset via iCloud one can have but this isn't enough for me to know that's an option.

Philip Fisher

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes the computer is "managed" using Jamf. The teacher account is a local account in some ways which we use AD to manage it. Unfortunately I can't use the typical "forget" password on the local admin account because it is not tied to an Apple ID.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes the computer is "managed" using Jamf. The teacher account is a local account in some ways which we use AD to manage it. Unfortunately I can't use the typical "forget" password on the local admin account because it is not tied to an Apple ID.

What specifically are you attempting to do? Are you attempting to gain admin rights to the computer? Are you trying to bypass restrictions or what? The account is managed by an MDM and you’ll need to get with a systems administrator to provide you the necessary rights/access to do whatever it is you’re trying to do if it’s outside of what you have access to.

Philip Fisher

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes. I am trying to gain access to the computer. As mentioned before, the computer is managed using Jamf and my coworker and I tried to use the "unlock" command found in Jamf to try to unlock the local admin account. That didn't work.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Yes. I am trying to gain access to the computer. As mentioned before, the computer is managed using Jamf and my coworker and I tried to use the "unlock" command found in Jamf to try to unlock the local admin account. That didn't work.

Then you need to contact the manager for Jamf for your device. There isn't anything anyone here at iMore can do.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73