Time Machine not working since Monterey update

SandersJC1964

May 3, 2016
Visit site
Since updating my M1 MBA to Monterey, I am not able to create a Time Machine backup on my HP SSD USB 3.0 external hard drive. I've erased, repartitioned, formatted the drive multiple times, made sure the disk was in the correct format, It will go through the entire process of creating the backup, and throws no errors, however, the backup information will show no backups exist, and when I navigate to the drive in Finder it is empty. Interestingly, when I select the drive in the disk utility tool, it shows space has been used, but there are no visible files. I am wondering if this is related to the USB bug that's been recently reported. Any thoughts?:confused:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I have not seen this using network-based Time Machine?

Have you tried switching the formatting (Extended macOS versus APFS)?

You could also try forcing a backup from the Terminal.app by using
Code:
tmutil startbackup

netnative

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Since updating my M1 MBA to Monterey, I am not able to create a Time Machine backup on my HP SSD USB 3.0 external hard drive. I've erased, repartitioned, formatted the drive multiple times, made sure the disk was in the correct format, It will go through the entire process of creating the backup, and throws no errors, however, the backup information will show no backups exist, and when I navigate to the drive in Finder it is empty. Interestingly, when I select the drive in the disk utility tool, it shows space has been used, but there are no visible files. I am wondering if this is related to the USB bug that's been recently reported. Any thoughts?

You are not alone. It seems that Apple broke Time Machine with Monterey. I encourage you to Google search “Time machine experiencing multiple issues on Monterey (my personal issue resolved)”. It is a thread in another forum.

JSands1964

May 9, 2017
Visit site
Update: So after multiple factory resets, safe mode, different drive; still is not working. It’ll go through the whole process and then shows “None” next to the backup options. Guess I’ll wait to see if there’s an update.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW