Apple Watch Series 6 deals at Amazon: Starting at $329!

which is better for every day stuff other than editing Photos/videos or imovies? Intel core i5 processors in the HP pavilion all in one PC or the M1 Mac desktop . I know they’re completely different but I wanted to see what you guys thought. One person in the household likes PCs but I like Mac. The main reason is Microsoft word
    04-23-2021 11:59 AM
    I used to have a PC long ago, then windows laptops. All are dead.. dead, dead, dead. I use an iPad at home, but a PC at work, which I am very comfortable with. I have no experience with a Mac, so I can't really address your question. The reason I am responding, however, is that you can get Microsoft Word for Mac. Here's a link to it in the Mac App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/micros...62054704?mt=12
    Tartarus likes this.
    04-23-2021 12:03 PM
    which is better for every day stuff other than editing Photos/videos or imovies? Intel core i5 processors in the HP pavilion all in one PC or the M1 Mac desktop . I know they’re completely different but I wanted to see what you guys thought. One person in the household likes PCs but I like Mac. The main reason is Microsoft word
    Which is “better” will depend on which computer you’re most comfortable with. If you’re accustomed to the PC then use it and vice versa for the Mac.
    Annie_M likes this.
    04-23-2021 12:38 PM
    I’ve used both. I just didn’t know which would be more powerful. The M1 or the Intel processors that Microsoft provides and would be a better bang for your buck
    04-23-2021 02:10 PM
    I’ve used both. I just didn’t know which would be more powerful. The M1 or the Intel processors that Microsoft provides and would be a better bang for your buck
    M1 is more powerful than the intel core i5
    doogald likes this.
    04-23-2021 03:17 PM
    Would you spend the $$$$ on a Mac just to surf the web and sent emails?

Neither would I.

A Windows machine will do just fine. Actually, I have an older Dell Latitude E5470 with i5 processor and 32 gigs (just because it would hold it) ram. I use it primarily for OBS and vMix.

My MacBook Pro is my photo processing machine with Lightroom / Photoshop.
    04-23-2021 05:55 PM
    I sometimes do imovies/edit photos but mainly on iphone or ipad. I just want to try the M1. how do you compare.I know it’s comparing apples to oranges but how do you compare

11th Generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor. to the M1

what attracts me to another Apple desktop is not having to deal with viruses/malware as much, is that true. I do recall having to take my late 2015 desktop in to my local Apple Store because one of the user accounts somehow I got malware even though the other user account didn’t
    Last edited by Chris Cook5; 04-23-2021 at 09:55 PM.
    04-23-2021 08:19 PM
    I sometimes do imovies/edit photos but mainly on iphone or ipad. I just want to try the M1. how do you compare.I know it’s comparing apples to oranges but how do you compare

11th Generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor. to the M1

what attracts me to another Apple desktop is not having to deal as much viruses/malware is that true. I do recall having to take my late 2015 desktop in to my local Apple Store because one of the user accounts somehow I got malware even though the other user account didn’t
    Go ahead and get the M1.
    04-23-2021 09:54 PM
    What about the new iPad Pro with the M1 chip?
    04-24-2021 01:59 AM
    I don’t use ipads that much
    04-24-2021 10:43 AM
    I think this depends on a few things you didn't mention. What are your uses? Most likely a PC will suffice fine. It will give you enough power to do mostly all that you want to do. Do you have an iPhone and/or iPad? Getting an M1 would give you more of the power of the ecosystem, versus having a PC. What are you replacing? Again, providing more details will help people give you perhaps more guidance if you want it.
    04-24-2021 03:44 PM
    I think this depends on a few things you didn't mention. What are your uses? Most likely a PC will suffice fine. It will give you enough power to do mostly all that you want to do. Do you have an iPhone and/or iPad? Getting an M1 would give you more of the power of the ecosystem, versus having a PC. What are you replacing? Again, providing more details will help people give you perhaps more guidance if you want it.
    I currently have a late 2015 8 GB Standard drive. i’ll mainly use it for surfing the web/emails/every day stuff. I also do Photo/video/imovie. I came across a dell 11th Generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor but I didn’t know how that compared to apples M1. i’ve been talking about this lately but I’m the kind a guy that doesn’t want to spend over the thousand dollars on something and I want to go back
    04-24-2021 04:37 PM
    I just build a new pc after having used my i7 920 which was the first gen intel core processor back then.

I have the 11th gen intel core 11700k on a Gigabyte Vision G motherboard with a Kingston A2000
    NVME SSD.

As a person that loves building their own computer I can’t get used to the idea of buying a pre build, whether it be a windows or a Mac machine.
    04-24-2021 05:13 PM
    I currently have a late 2015 8 GB Standard drive. i’ll mainly use it for surfing the web/emails/every day stuff. I also do Photo/video/imovie. I came across a dell 11th Generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor but I didn’t know how that compared to apples M1. i’ve been talking about this lately but I’m the kind a guy that doesn’t want to spend over the thousand dollars on something and I want to go back
    They are completely different beasts architecturally.

I think it will come down to the app’s optimization for the architecture, and not raw performance.
    04-24-2021 06:34 PM
    do mac tend to have less viruses/malware? I remember I did have to take my late 2015 into the Apple store a while back to get some malware off of one of the user accounts, but strangely it did not affect the other user account. Do Macs have software that you can run or let it run in the background like antivirus for PCs
    04-24-2021 07:33 PM
    Never had a antivirus app running on my windows computer in 25 years and only have had only 4 or 5 times malware / viruses on my computer which were easily removable.

It’s all about common sense.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-25-2021 12:03 AM
    do mac tend to have less viruses/malware? I remember I did have to take my late 2015 into the Apple store a while back to get some malware off of one of the user accounts, but strangely it did not affect the other user account. Do Macs have software that you can run or let it run in the background like antivirus for PCs
    While macOS computers do get less malicious software, it's simply for a question of volume. macOS is used by less people, so it's a smaller target.

And yes, there are AV software available for macOS. I was required to run Sophos Home to connect to my University network - they require every device to have an active AV. There are other security software available as well, but I don't know many of them.
    04-25-2021 05:42 AM