iPhone 8 not showing in Finder on Big Sur

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Can't get my iPhone 8 to show up in the Finder so I can back it up and sync it. I am using a 2015 macbook pro with the latest Big Sur update. My phone is also updated to the current version. I have already checked if it's being detected by the USB and it shows it's fine. I have also checked my Finder sidebar options to see if the option to recognize iOS devices is checked and it is checked. I've restarted my phone and mac multiple times with no resolution. I don't get what the issue is.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried connecting the iPhone to a different port on the MacBook Pro to see if it’ll display via Finder?

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried rebooting both devices and using another cable?

I've stated that I have restarted both multiple times. I don't have another cable to try. The cable is not the issue though. The phone shows up under system information in the USB section. I found a workaround by using the Music app, the phone shows up in there, then I hit sync options and then it takes me to the Finder and lets me backup or sync or whatever but the phone still won't show in the sidebar.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
This is sort of a nuclear option, but there is always (on the iPhone) Settings / Reset / Reset Location & Privacy. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202778#change - you use this if you want to reset whether your phone trust a computer connection or not. This also means that all of you apps that use location services will be reset to the state as if they never used location services before, so your phone will get prompted like crazy again. But, this may work.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods