What changes to learn in Big Sur

Geoffsail

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Could someone direct me to an article that tells me what I have to unlearn in High Sierra when I install Big Sur? I got a new iMac 3 months ago with Catalina installed. I haven't learned much about Catalina yet and use it as I did High Sierra. I have not experienced frustration. I assume most of High Sierra techniques work fine in Catalina. Thus I don't have to learn much new to continue but am missing much of what Catalina offers. Will it be the same going to Big Sur? Or as a low level user should I sit tight until I have to change.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
The biggest differences between Catalina and Big Sur is the layout and design in general, and the Messages app that's been redone.
But I've been using Big Sur for 6 months or so, so I'm used to it and it's hard to me to say what else changed.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I just upgraded last night. Based on my use so far, the other difference is a change in the Mail app. The way that I use the Mail app it remains pretty close, but it definitely feels and acts more like the iOS mail app than the traditional MacOS mail app of the last few years.

Right now the main thing that's missing for me a single collected all "junk" mailbox, with the junk mailboxes for each account listed underneath. I visit this often to check unread spam and make sure that nothing that was made junk should have not been. I've solved it in Big Sur with a smart mailbox, so it's just a minor quibble.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree. The design and feel of Big Sur may require you to get used to. Aside from that, previous shortcuts, etcetera are the same.

Geoffsail

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all. That's enough to reassure me. I'll down load it soon. However, my ISP has only a 6mb/s speed so I'll wait until late some evening and set it to go overnight. Has any body had experience with Hughsnet?

Geoff

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro