AirPods Pro deal at Amazon: Save $52 for a limited time!

I have had several friends who are converting from PC to Mac and are always asking me what anti virus software I would recommend for Mac OS.

I know there are pros and cons to running anti virus software, just thought I would reach out and see if someone has any running on their machine and share their thoughts.

I have been using DR.Webb for many years, but they are falling behind and don’t have a current version for Big Sur and can’t tell me when one will be available. Any suggestions are welcome.
    12-15-2020 05:42 PM
    I don't use any for Mac myself (see https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/best-antivirus/ for a great article), but if I needed something, I would use malwarebytes (as also discussed in that article.)
    Last edited by doogald; 12-16-2020 at 04:45 PM.
    12-16-2020 09:46 AM
    I was an Eset user for years. Recently tried BitDefender as it seems to come up at the top of the list in many web searches. While I do like it, there's an annoying VPN service that's also installed.
    12-16-2020 09:51 AM
    I use Bitdefender and Malwarebytes (free version). Both are great and meet my needs.
    12-16-2020 10:36 AM
    Avast free version works fine for me; used on several Macs that I have, latest being MacBook Pro 2020. Significantly, it continues to be supported on some older versions of OSX and runs equally well on the older Macs that I have (eg. El Capitan), which is not the case for several other antivirus softwares.

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=http...token=qWceZ2d0
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 12-18-2020 at 02:25 AM.
    12-17-2020 02:46 AM
    I've been happy with Bitdefender and see it two ways. As an enterprise admin it's also a component in Cisco AMP. I have it at a site to small for AMP's min 25 licenses. Overall no complaints about compatibility, performance and effectiveness.
    12-17-2020 06:12 AM
    I used Sophos on my personal Mac. Stopped using it with Big Sur, due to incompatibility.

Professionally, when I still used a MacBook Pro, we used System Center Endpoint Protection, which is no longer available.
    12-17-2020 06:50 PM
    I use Malwarebytes. The free version, which means I have to manually run scans. I think I accidentally partially deleted it and then that version didn't work the big sur beta version I was on. I tried Sophos in the meanwhile. Then Malwarebytes had an update and I could use it again. It found multiple things Sophos missed.
    12-18-2020 12:35 AM
    Thanks for the input folks, as with others, I used Dr.Webb for many years without any issues, but seems they are falling behind on updating their software to Big Sur.

Looks like I am going to look at BitDefender, seems to be at the top of the list.
    12-18-2020 05:32 AM
    I have been using Malwarebytes free version and it is great. I haven’t tried bit-defender, I am looking into it also.
    bakron1 and dmoskaluk like this.
    12-18-2020 06:34 AM
    Malwarebytes was suggested to me by a long time iMac/ MacBook user. I have no complaints and it runs completely in the background.
    01-05-2021 05:54 PM