Catalina to Big Sur?

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a 16” MBP that I purchased earlier this year and it is currently running the latest version. What are your thoughts or experiences on installing the new Big Sur OS?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have been running Big Sur since the initial beta and it truly has been rock solid on my 2017 MacBook Pro. I really like it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I always, always wait at least one month to see what other people are reporting before installing a new major release of MacOS. Catalina was so messed up for a lot people (especially in Mail - people were actually losing messages stored on IMAP servers) that I didn't install Catalina until a few weeks ago. I think most people are smart to wait rather than jump the gun, especially if you don't have a bootable backup of Catalina or an older system to go back to in case Big Sur has similar bad problems.

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I always, always wait at least one month to see what other people are reporting before installing a new major release of MacOS. Catalina was so messed up for a lot people (especially in Mail - people were actually losing messages stored on IMAP servers) that I didn't install Catalina until a few weeks ago. I think most people are smart to wait rather than jump the gun, especially if you don't have a bootable backup of Catalina or an older system to go back to in case Big Sur has similar bad problems.
It’s probably a good idea, but I took the leap. Fingers crossed ??????.

Jan 9, 2020
Visit site
In the past, Every time I wanted to upgrade to a new Mac OS I didn't have enough room. I finally bought a new MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020); 8GB memory; 250GB HD and yet I still need extra 10GB for Big Sur. What gives? I don't have much on my HD to begin with. Any ideas?

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
After I had an almost disaster with 2 borked Catalina attempted updates on my brand new iMac ( last January) - it to my chagrin had shipped with Mojave - I simply said leave it alone and try the next OS as all was happy with original setup it came with. Of course time flies & I'm now at the same crossroads. My update will be Mojave to Big Sur and I've been advised by several to hold off until at least the first fix is issued for any major OS.... Remember, I speak strictly as a user, far from an enthusiast, so the KISS principle applies in all its glory!!

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
So far its been solid, and I have say I'm liking it better than Catalina. For me it seems cleaner, smoother and a better fit for my 2019 MBA.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Installed Big Sur on both of my iMac 27 units and so far, it’s been perfect. Only issue I am having is installing Dr.Webb anti virus helper files for the cloud.

Going to contact their customer service and hopefully get the issue resolved. Everything else runs just fine.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
FINALLY!

I just did the upgrade directly from Mojave to Big Sur successfully, having had no end of issues with the 'Catalina' update then needed to bring my new machine 'up to scratch' after purchase last January. Eventually I gave up and figured I'd abandon the project, until the next OS update came along since all was working well on Mojave.
It took about 3 hours but all went smoothly and so far so good.

Last edited:

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
FINALLY!

I just did the upgrade directly from Mojave to Big Sur successfully, having had no end of issues with the 'Catalina' update then needed to bring my new machine 'up to scratch' after purchase last January. Eventually I gave up and figured I'd abandon the project, until the next OS update came along since all was working well on Mojave.
It took about 3 hours but all went smoothly and so far so good.

Thank you for your post. It gives me hope since I completely skipped out on Catalina due to time spent trying to help others troubleshoot their problems. I left well enough alone with my MBP on Mojave. Hopefully I’ll be brave and make the leap to Big Sur soon 🤞🏽

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Your situation mirrored mine except that after a few messed up attempts to do Catalina, ( I also purchased the new iMac at that time) I simply went into an 'If it ain't broke....' mode and also vowed to hold off until a '.1' of the next OS was available. I'm glad I did as today's effort was straightforward, only taking time as there were several other updates ( mainly security & Appstore related) to wade through before Big Sur could be downloaded then installed. My internet speed is fairly good on Wifi but I chose to use the Ethernet connection to the router. I always show about 38-40 mbps down, 20ish up either on wifi or Ethernet.
Now I have to figure out the new features but all is crisp & snappy. I hope I don't regret skipping 2 factor authorization as I've never used it but have heard too many horror stories mainly with respect to the cell connection for the text message. I live in the Eastern Caribbean ( Barbados) and use generally 8 digit dialing (+1 AAA-BBB- CCCC) but things go amok at times, likely when needed most.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I'll also add this. My first dive into  was in 2012, with my iPad Mini. ( on my 60th birthday-) release day- SFO Apple store.- then iPhone 4S shortly after. I added the iMac in 2012 too. This 'new' OS is light years ahead of anything previously on an Apple desktop in the area of 'common ground' between iOS & OS... I'm now on my 2nd iMac. As I see it as a 'non-techy' & really a 'user' as opposed to an enthusiast, the quantum leaps have been iOS 7, 14, and OS Big Sur as all now thread together. Remember, my background in 'devices' as such was from Blackberry ( phone & tablet) and any number of Windows PC's. We sure have gotten better, and integration drives the show.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner