I took my Mac desktop in awhile back to the store a while back to get an error message off one of the user accounts. I have been noticing the Beachball more and more when I’m launching iTunes for example or even Safari. For example last night when I was switching accounts it probably took a good two minutes to pull everything up. Even when hitting play on a song I get the Beachball.slow mac-adjustments.jpgslow mac-img_1100.jpg
    Last edited by Chris Cook5; 07-09-2020 at 10:24 PM.
    07-09-2020 08:46 PM
    How many apps do you have running in the background and how many do you have set to start when your Mac starts?

In addition, you stated when “switching between accounts”. Do you fast switch or are you logging out of one account and then logging into another. If the former, how many accounts do you have open simultaneously and how many apps are running in the background while the accounts are open?
    Annie_M likes this.
    07-10-2020 06:23 AM
    I still have a late 2011 iMac and Mac Mini model that was doing the same thing. I upgraded the memory to 16 gigs and replaced the IDE hard drive with an SSD and it was a night and day difference. Is that an option for that model? If so you might want to look into it if you want to keep it a while longer.
    07-10-2020 08:09 AM
    Hard disks are tough to diagnose. I'd really suggest for your next Mac that you budget getting a model with a SSD.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    07-10-2020 08:52 AM
    How many apps do you have running in the background and how many do you have set to start when your Mac starts?

In addition, you stated when “switching between accounts”. Do you fast switch or are you logging out of one account and then logging into another. If the former, how many accounts do you have open simultaneously and how many apps are running in the background while the accounts are open?
    No apps. 2 accounts. I go up and log out first. I also chatted with Apple Support and did first aid disk repair but unfortunately that did not help. I just wondered if you guys had any other suggestions
    Last edited by Chris Cook5; 07-10-2020 at 10:20 AM.
    07-10-2020 10:06 AM
    No apps. 2 accounts. I go up and log out first. I also chatted with Apple Support and did first aid disk repair but unfortunately that did not help. I just wondered if you guys had any other suggestions
    I’m in agreement with Doogald’s reply above.
    07-10-2020 10:51 AM
    Hard disks are tough to diagnose. I'd really suggest for your next Mac that you budget getting a model with a SSD.
    $1,099.00 for a bottom of the line iMac or $200-$300 for a hard drive and memory upgrade. Like I said, I upgraded both my 2011 iMac and Mac Mini from IDE drives to SSD and from 8 gigs ram to 16, and both are still used daily.
    07-10-2020 12:57 PM
    would a refurbished be better than a new one. I just googled adding a hard drive to my late 2015. where do you suggest I get that done if my local Apple store is closed
    07-10-2020 02:13 PM
    would a refurbished be better than a new one.
    Less expensive and just as equally supported by Apple. Better, no.
    07-12-2020 11:06 AM
    I was going to take a picture of this message on my Mac picture I just got but it went away and restarted. I was just on Facebook and all of a sudden it went black and some message popped up saying because of a problem it needed to restart. After doing a health check on my hard drive with Apple Support over text about three days ago I couldn’t find anything wrong with it but obviously there’s something wrong.
    07-22-2020 10:06 AM
    Soundslike your machine suffered what is officially called a “kernel panic” and Is unofficially nicknamed a Blue Screen Of Death, after the kernel panic on Windows (which in windows 7 and below is blue).

Note that a kernel panic just means the os has encountered a problem it needs to resolve, and can’t, so it reboots in an effort to resolve the problem.

Also note that despite the name, a kernel panic is not necessarily serious.

Sounds like apple tech support have done a fairly good job (they usually do in my limited experience), but here is a guide to blue screens.. https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ma...n-mac-3673541/
    07-27-2020 03:56 PM