iMessages

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
How would you go about getting your iMessages re-synced up with your Mac. I’ve tried signing in and out of iCloud on my Mac but doesn’t work

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
How would you go about getting your iMessages re-synced up with your Mac. I’ve tried signing in and out of iCloud on my Mac but doesn’t work

Apple is supposed to be adding iMessage sync in iCloud at some point with iOS 11.x and High Sierra, but, as of now, it's not available in the stable (non-beta) versions.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if I wasn’t clear, I didn’t have text messaging forwarded. That’s the only thing I don’t like when updating to the newest iOS is it doesn’t leave Some of your settings like they were

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So there’s no way to reactivate my messages on my Mac as of right now?

Yes, you can. But it will not sync messages down that you've received on other devices. It will have any history you had before you signed back in with your Apple ID, plus any new iMessages that you receive after that point. And, yes, you can activate text messaging forwarding from your iPhone if you want text messages (green bubbles) to be received and sent from the Mac, in addition to iMessages (blue bubbles.) On the iPhone, Settings / Messages / Text Message Forwarding, after you have signed in to iCloud in Messages on the Mac.

But, like I said, this will not load messages from you've received on your iPhone to the Mac. That will come with iMessage sync when Apple adds that service to iCloud.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Now I understand. I turned on the text messaging forwarding and tested it out but it still didn’t work. Do I have to wait a few minutes for it to recognize my Mac

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I turned off iMessage on my Mac because I wasn't getting notified of messages on my iPhone when they were received if my Mac was turned on (which is not what I wanted). I can't recall how long it took for text messaging forwarding to become active, though I honestly don't send or receive very many of those. Most of my messages these days are iMessages.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Now I understand. I turned on the text messaging forwarding and tested it out but it still didn’t work. Do I have to wait a few minutes for it to recognize my Mac

When you click on the Messages app on your Mac to open it what happens? One of the more recent updates signed me out so I just had to resign in.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I tried to delete some text messages from my mac imessages, but the text messages on my iphone didn't deleted (I've waited for 2 days, still no change). But when I tried to delete from my iphone, it only took 2 seconds for my text messages on mac to disappear

anyone know what's the problem is ?

thx

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I tried to delete some text messages from my mac imessages, but the text messages on my iphone didn't deleted (I've waited for 2 days, still no change). But when I tried to delete from my iphone, it only took 2 seconds for my text messages on mac to disappear

anyone know what's the problem is ?

thx

Open Messages on your Mac, in the top left corner click on Messages and select Preferences. From there select iMessage and be sure Enable Messages in iCloud is selected. Once you do that, hit sync now.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Open Messages on your Mac, in the top left corner click on Messages and select Preferences. From there select iMessage and be sure Enable Messages in iCloud is selected. Once you do that, hit sync now.

I’d already did that from the first time I activated icloud messages (otherwise messages deleted from my iphone won’t deleted on my mac right ?)

And another thing is, I tried to send text messages from my friends number to my phone, and my mac also didn’t received

It’s strange, I suspect this has something to do with the sync on my mac, but don’t know how to fix it

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I’d already did that from the first time I activated icloud messages (otherwise messages deleted from my iphone won’t deleted on my mac right ?)

And another thing is, I tried to send text messages from my friends number to my phone, and my mac also didn’t received

It’s strange, I suspect this has something to do with the sync on my mac, but don’t know how to fix it

Go back into Messages settings on your Mac, then preferences, then the Accounts tab. Make sure all the boxes are selected that you want to be reached at under "You can be reached for messages at:".

I wasn't getting all iMessages on my MBP then realized I only had one of mt emails selected.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Go back into Messages settings on your Mac, then preferences, then the Accounts tab. Make sure all the boxes are selected that you want to be reached at under "You can be reached for messages at:".

I wasn't getting all iMessages on my MBP then realized I only had one of mt emails selected.

I’ve done all that selection previously

One thing I noticed was when I delete my message from iphone, there’re notification stated that it will delete at all my devices as well.

But there’re no such notification from my mac when deleting messages. Do you have that notification on your mac messages when deleting ?

To be clear :

1. My iphone do not use text mesages forwarding to my mac, but with icloud messages feature, I will received the messages on my mac as well right ?
2. My mac messages seems like don’t sycn (because when I delete my messages from mac, messages on my iphone not deleted as well

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It might be because they are text messages that were sent to the Mac via Settings / Messages / Text Message Forwarding rather than syncing via iCloud. But, this is a great question to ask AppleCare or the Genius Bar to see what they say about it. I don't think that any of us will be able to find the answer.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
It might be because they are text messages that were sent to the Mac via Settings / Messages / Text Message Forwarding rather than syncing via iCloud. But, this is a great question to ask AppleCare or the Genius Bar to see what they say about it. I don't think that any of us will be able to find the answer.

But I thought icloud messages feature included text messages .. hm ...

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
But I thought icloud messages feature included text messages .. hm ...

This is why I think you should call or visit Apple to clarify. From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208532 I see this partial quote:

Messages in iCloud are updated automatically, so you always have the same view everywhere you use iMessage. When you delete a message, photo, or conversation on one device, it’s removed from all of your devices. And since all of your attachments are stored in iCloud, you can save space on your device.

Notice what I highlighted. It’s a little ambiguous about whether text messages are supported, as that says “iMessage”. Maybe sms messages are supported for copying from iPhone, but because the Mac didn’t *receive* the text message, the deletion from there doesn’t sync. Or maybe it’s a bug. Either way, it’d be interesting to see what Apple says officially if you make a call or visit the Genius Bar about this.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
This is why I think you should call or visit Apple to clarify. From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208532 I see this partial quote:

Notice what I highlighted. It’s a little ambiguous about whether text messages are supported, as that says “iMessage”. Maybe sms messages are supported for copying from iPhone, but because the Mac didn’t *receive* the text message, the deletion from there doesn’t sync. Or maybe it’s a bug. Either way, it’d be interesting to see what Apple says officially if you make a call or visit the Genius Bar about this.

Yup. I've contacted applecare, and the problem solved. And yes, icloud messages included for text messages. So the solution is to uncheck "save history when conversation are closed" on our mac OS (messages - preferences - general), then it will work flawlessly :)

thx for your input :)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Excellent, thanks for the follow up, too. I’m away from my Mac for a few weeks but will check that setting myself when I get back home.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Yup. I've contacted applecare, and the problem solved. And yes, icloud messages included for text messages. So the solution is to uncheck "save history when conversation are closed" on our mac OS (messages - preferences - general), then it will work flawlessly

Excellent, thanks for the follow up, too. I’m away from my Mac for a few weeks but will check that setting myself when I get back home.

It was unchecked, which it must be by default (I recently installed MacOS from scratch without restoring from a backup). So that's one reason I wasn't seeing the same issue you were.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods