I am new to MacOS and also new to virtual machines, but I have been recently looking into putting one on my 2017 MacBook Pro. There seem to be a lot of different options available, so I’m wondering if any of you with experience could recommend one? I’m thinking I will use Ubuntu as the OS - but I’m definitely open to input. Also, if you have any other tips or advice before I dive into this, I’d greatly appreciate you sharing them!
    01-27-2018 09:06 PM
    Years ago, I used to dual boot my computers with various combinations of OSes. Among them was Ubuntu. Dual booting was not difficult to do from what I recall. Still, if you’re new to macOS, I would recommend you take some time to get familiar with its strength s and weaknesses before venturing into dual booting because typically, you’ll end up using one OS more than the other at some point.
    itsnotmeitsyou likes this.
    01-27-2018 10:13 PM
    Parallels, VirtualBox, or VMware Fusion may be options for Ubuntu.

Looks like its possible to get Ubuntu to work using Boot Camp, but may not be what Boot Camp is designed to primarily support - Windows.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4900995
    01-28-2018 08:43 AM
    VMWare Fusion is what I’ve used for Windows and MacOS VMs. Haven’t had any issues with it.
    01-28-2018 11:02 AM
    Years ago, I used to dual boot my computers with various combinations of OSes. Among them was Ubuntu. Dual booting was not difficult to do from what I recall. Still, if you’re new to macOS, I would recommend you take some time to get familiar with its strength s and weaknesses before venturing into dual booting because typically, you’ll end up using one OS more than the other at some point.
    I would for sure be using MacOS primarily. The main (only?) reason I want a virtual machine is for security purposes. For example, I would do all my finances and tax preparation from the virtual machine, then wipe it clean after each session to totally erase all my financial info, SSN, etc.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-28-2018 06:53 PM
    I've been a Parallels user for a long time. It's $99 a year but, IMHO, the best vm software out there.
    01-28-2018 10:23 PM