Does anyone use Apple Configurator 2 to supervise their personal devices?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As stated in the thread title, does anyone uses the Apple Configurator 2 program to supervise their personal devices or the devices of their families? Just wondering.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I use it for work as I do MDM and this helps a bit with one of the iPad fleets I manage. But I couldn’t imagine it’s usefulness for personal devices. I can’t think of a use case in which it would benefit one to use for just one or two devices.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I use it for work as I do MDM and this helps a bit with one of the iPad fleets I manage. But I couldn’t imagine it’s usefulness for personal devices. I can’t think of a use case in which it would benefit one to use for just one or two devices.

Yeah, we use it at work for the same purpose you mentioned, but I disagree with it not having a use for personal devices. I mean, I don't see a problem making it as difficult as I can for an unauthorized person to use my phone as their own. Is it overkill? Sure it is, but hey, I'm a techie....:cool:

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, we use it at work for the same purpose you mentioned, but I disagree with it not having a use for personal devices. I mean, I don't see a problem making it as difficult as I can for an unauthorized person to use my phone as their own. Is it overkill? Sure it is, but hey, I'm a techie....:cool:

Lol. Yea to each their own. Apples security features serve me well for that purpose on my personal device.

Though I’d be interesting in your process for securing your device through Configurator beyond what you can do outside of it? I may be missing something useful I can utilitize on my kids devices.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

I have played around with previous versions for this very reason. I didn’t know there is a new version. I might just download it and play around if my aging Mac will allow it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have played around with previous versions for this very reason. I didn’t know there is a new version. I might just download it and play around if my aging Mac will allow it.

Even if it doesn’t allow it, your devices are still supervised with the current version. Just in case, have you allowed for the profile(s) to be removed with a passcode?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Even if it doesn’t allow it, your devices are still supervised with the current version. Just in case, have you allowed for the profile(s) to be removed with a passcode?

I have done that before with the previous version of configurator. It worked ok. I just tried downloading the latest version of Apple Configurator 2, and it looks like I need OSX 10.12 High Sierra. My MacBook is too old. I am running El Capitan.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner