How can I unlock my Mac with my iPhone?

MG537

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi Rene,
Do you know of any technical reasons why iPhone and Mac users do not get the auto unlock features like Apple Watch and Mac users do?
I do not want to wear any watches.
I also have MacID but that app has been acting up lately. I can walk away from my Mac with iPhone in my pocket and it locks the screen, however when I come back, unlocking it has been iffy.

Wonder why Apple has not included this feature in iOS.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Re: Unlock Mac with iPhone natively

I don't believe there is a technical reason why they can't do this. They MAY have some security concerns, but I think certainly they could make it work. I know on my Samsung phone I have the ability to setup safe zones, that is my phone knows by location (home, office, shore house, parents, etc) that I am in one of my "safe zones" so it's ok to not use the lock. It can also detect my voice, when it's on my body, AND when it's connected to a trusted device (apple could leverage THIS to unlock a Mac), and again not use the lock. So the tech is out there.

I DO have an Apple Watch, and I love how it unlocks my Mac Book! I agree this would be handy if the phone could do it also. Best suggestion I could give would be to send Apple Feedback on it.....

https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Re: Unlock Mac with iPhone natively

Try Nearlock in the Mac App Store. It has an iPhone and an Apple Watch app. Once you get near your Mac with your iPhone, use Touch ID and your Mac will unlock. The app must be running on your phone so if you’ve rebooted your phone don’t forget to launch the app and let it run in the background.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73