Folks,

Ok Uncle PK just needs to vent a little. My coworker, who bought my 2013 MBP (I replaced it with a 2016 MB, yea yea I wanted to go smaller more probable) just came to me because she was locked out of the computer because she forgot her password. Apparently she uses the computer twice a year, lol. Anyways I try 3 inputs of random letters to get the hint, it says use your Apple ID password. AH easy, so I ask her for her AppleID, she doesn't remember THAT either! How do you not know your AppleID!!!!! lol

Anyways I got around it using the disk utilities and the terminal, but then ran in to another problem with her keychain! UGGGGGGH!!!! But I was able to get the reset also. So I guess my message is set a memorial but unique password AND remember it!

Just needed to vent!
    Tartarus likes this.
    07-17-2017 09:51 AM
    Folks,

Ok Uncle PK just needs to vent a little. My coworker, who bought my 2013 MBP (I replaced it with a 2016 MB, yea yea I wanted to go smaller more probable) just came to me because she was locked out of the computer because she forgot her password. Apparently she uses the computer twice a year, lol. Anyways I try 3 inputs of random letters to get the hint, it says use your Apple ID password. AH easy, so I ask her for her AppleID, she doesn't remember THAT either! How do you not know your AppleID!!!!! lol

Anyways I got around it using the disk utilities and the terminal, but then ran in to another problem with her keychain! UGGGGGGH!!!! But I was able to get the reset also. So I guess my message is set a memorial but unique password AND remember it!

Just needed to vent!
    Reminds me of my dad. He doesn’t remember his passwords because he’s always logged in and refuses to get a password manager app.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-17-2017 09:57 AM
    Yup my wife is the same way. "what is your Apple ID", or " I can't get this to work"

Yes we reset most of her account info 3-5 times a year lol
    pkcable likes this.
    07-17-2017 10:03 AM
    Passwords can be kept the old fashioned way. Write it on paper, and put it in a safe place.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-17-2017 10:17 AM
    Passwords can be kept the old fashioned way. Write it on paper, and put it in a safe place.
    I hate to say, but often I recommend this also! I'm SO glad bio-metric password are a thing now, what I mean is touch id, iris scanner, etc THIS will eliminate the problem, you can't forget your thumb print!
    07-17-2017 10:32 AM
    I am the password keeper for my parents. My father uses a data sheet in Pages app, to write it down and look up and my mother just asks me for it.

Password apps are nice but, meh. This is easier for them. They’re 58 and relatively new to these kind of things.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-17-2017 11:05 AM
    Sure, try to convince my dad to write his passwords on paper. That’s not gonna happen either.
    07-17-2017 11:37 AM
    Sure, try to convince my dad to write his passwords on paper. That’s not gonna happen either.
    Funny thing is, although he never touched a computer in his life, he is quite familiar with his iPhone. I barely need to help him anymore

On a more serious note. You could write all his passwords in Pages in his iPhone and tell him to just open the app.

I have three rows: first name is the site or app, second is for his username and third row for password. It ain’t secure but at least it’s convenient for him.
    07-17-2017 11:42 AM
    Funny thing is, although he never touched a computer in his life, he is quite familiar with his iPhone. I barely need to help him anymore

On a more serious note. You could write all his passwords in Pages in his iPhone and tell him to just open the app.

I have three rows: first name is the site or app, second is for his username and third row for password. It ain’t secure but at least it’s convenient for him.
    He only has an iPad and hates it because Apple occasionally asks for AppleID password or password to unlock. He set device unlock as a text password instead of PIN code and refuses to change it so it confuses him. His phone is an LG G5 which is another problem altogether. He won’t write them down because he doesn’t want anyone to have access to them. It’s a hassle and I basically have to remember all his passwords for him and I’ve been putting them in my 1Password vault.
    07-17-2017 11:46 AM
    He only has an iPad and hates it because Apple occasionally asks for AppleID password or password to unlock. He set device unlock as a text password instead of PIN code and refuses to change it so it confuses him. His phone is an LG G5 which is another problem altogether. He won’t write them down because he doesn’t want anyone to have access to them. It’s a hassle and I basically have to remember all his passwords for him and I’ve been putting them in my 1Password vault.
    I feel you.
    My dad has, some might even say luckily, no security worries.
    I told him he’s not important enough to be targeted for his passwords and he agreed.
    pkcable and Not Quite Right like this.
    07-17-2017 11:52 AM
    I do that for my parents because they forget. Write them down on paper and then stick in the lock box. That saves me from a lot of the "I don't remember my password"
    07-18-2017 11:37 AM
    Have him use invisible ink!
    07-18-2017 07:16 PM
    I support over 800 users. I definitely feel your pain, lol.
    pkcable and robertk328 like this.
    07-19-2017 12:37 AM
    I support over 800 users. I definitely feel your pain, lol.
    Yea I get it at work too! But fortunately I only have about 70 users. BUT there are 2 logins for them, an active directory login when they startup or unlock the PC AND a login for the main processing app we use, and of course the passwords are always different as the AD one is set to change every 90 days. That's a whole other chore some users no matter HOW many times they have been prompted to change password are STILL confused by the process and I must walk them through it, or get their password reset once they get themselves locked out by entering the old password too many times! lol
    07-19-2017 07:57 AM