how ro stop imac

renato07

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
I'm brand new on the forum (but not on Imac nor unix)
On my Imac, with Sierra o.s., from a month, I've this particular prob:
when I press the shutdown menu entry, The mac, start the process, but an alert comes up, telling that it cannot shutdown, due to anapp that not close itself.
So I start the terminal and type the PS command.

a lot of app appears and I don't know wich one has the problem.

Finally, I push the hardware button (for more than 5 seconds)

Can someone help me?

TIA

Renato

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iMore Renato!!

So the pop up doesn't state which app is not allowing the iMac to shut-down? Firstly, I wouldn't suggest messing with Terminal unless you thoroughly know what you're doing. Have you tried closing all running apps and then going into Activity Monitor to see what's still running?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
You can also check the "Force quit..." menu in the Apple menu (or press Cmd-Option-Esc) to see if you have an app that is not responding after the attempted shutdown.

It may be smart to go through all of your running apps (by pressing Cmd-Tab) to close any apps that are running (besides Finder) from the app's menu (or press Cmd-Q) before you do a restart.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

Force Quit will be your best option for finding the culprit app causing the problem. Once you find the app I would suggest looking through the Preferences settings of that app to see what or if any of the settings is causing the issue. As @DarlaMack stated, I would stay out of Terminal unless you really know what your doing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods