Deleting trash

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I've deleted some old back-up files from my external hard drive into the trash, and now i can't delete them permanently. These were back-ups from the "time machine". I really don't want to buy a removal app, but i could use a little help, if possible. Thanks.:confused:

P.S. I don't know if this means anything, but when i unmounted my external hard drive, the trash container became empty. Then when i remounted the hard drive, all the trash came back.:confused:

Sicily1918

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
The trash is back because it's on the external HD. Plug it in and then empty trash -- should take care of it.

If not, open a terminal, type the following:

• cd /Volumes/[your hdd name]/.Trash
  • rm -rf *
And you're done!

Oh, it's possible the dir is named .Trashes, so if .Trash doesn't work, it'll be that.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't work. Is there a way to completely wipe the external HD? I have some new backups on it already, but i can always do more.:confused:

UPDATE: Problem solved. Opened Disc Utility and erased the disc. Seagate ext. HD reformatted automatically. Trash emptied, and making new backups in time machine.:p

Last edited:

Sicily1918

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Doesn't work. Is there a way to completely wipe the external HD? I have some new backups on it already, but i can always do more.:confused:

UPDATE: Problem solved. Opened Disc Utility and erased the disc. Seagate ext. HD reformatted automatically. Trash emptied, and making new backups in time machine.:p
For future reference, if the rf command doesn't work, try putting sudo in front of it.

I know you don't need it for the home trash dir, but I always forget if mounted volumes need root access.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2