Hi folks

My new car has a USB interface. I have a 128Gb stick in there with maybe 13,000 music tracks on it. My file structure is Artist > Album > .mp3

The issue is that when I plug the USB into my car (2016 Honda Civic EX), the folders don't sort alphabetically by top level Artist and I can't work out why. They seem to be in a random order, so it might go A > B > D > G > F > M > C etc.

There isn't the option in the car interface to alter the default sort order. I only have a Mac, so is there any non-technical way of changing the sort order of my USB so that everything is read in the car in top-level alphabetical order please.

I've read that the car only accepts the folder order in the orders that the folders were actually copied to the USB stick. Being that I have tens of thousands of tracks, and my Mac is old, it will take me HOURS to copy them all over again.

I'm looking for a free program or a basic, idiotproof guide to doing it. I'm not comfortable using Terminal in any way.

Thanks folks
    Last edited by Highrisedrifter; 06-26-2016 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Added more info
    06-26-2016 05:26 AM
    In order to sort music by artist, title, album or any other tag, you'll have to tag them.

It's best if you import them in iTunes, fill in at least the artist name, title of the song and the album and you'll be all set to sort the songs as you like in your car.

Because, if your songs aren't id3 tagged, your car won't know who the artist is or what album the song belongs to.

I have something like 7k songs myself and I started back in the day Winamp was a thing to id3 tag them using their build in tagger, which used Gracenote database. Later when my library kept growing I started using MusicBrainz, which is a magnificent program to clear that job for you.
    But keep in mind this is an excruciating process requiring a lot of patience.
    06-26-2016 06:32 AM
    Thanks for the reply, mate, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, everything is already id3 tagged. I ripped all my CDs personally over the space of many months. My car can recognise (and show on the screen) the name and track title for each track, it just has decided to sort the artists in a seemingly random order that I have now learned is down to the order in which they were first copied to the folder.

Whilst I could copy them all off the drive, reformat it and copy them back on in the order I want them (alphabetical by Artist), it will take north of ten hours minimum to do that on this computer. I was looking for a batch file program or 'idiotproof' simple command-line command that will just re-order the perceived date/time copied to the folder. Mainly because if I want to add a new artist in at a later date, I will need to delete everything after the point at which the new artist would need to be inserted, copy the new artist over, then copy everything else back. That's not a pain in the backside at all...

I use Winamp on my PC back in the UK but out here in the USA I am unfortunately left with an old and rather decrepit Macbook that is failing me fast.

P.S. First thread after giving up my Ambassador status. I miss that blue bar under my avatar on the left.
    Tartarus likes this.
    06-26-2016 06:52 AM
    Thanks for the reply, mate, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, everything is already id3 tagged. I ripped all my CDs personally over the space of many months. My car can recognise (and show on the screen) the name and track title for each track, it just has decided to sort the artists in a seemingly random order that I have now learned is down to the order in which they were first copied to the folder.

Whilst I could copy them all off the drive, reformat it and copy them back on in the order I want them (alphabetical by Artist), it will take north of ten hours minimum to do that on this computer. I was looking for a batch file program or 'idiotproof' simple command-line command that will just re-order the perceived date/time copied to the folder. Mainly because if I want to add a new artist in at a later date, I will need to delete everything after the point at which the new artist would need to be inserted, copy the new artist over, then copy everything else back. That's not a pain in the backside at all...

I use Winamp on my PC back in the UK but out here in the USA I am unfortunately left with an old and rather decrepit Macbook that is failing me fast.

P.S. First thread after giving up my Ambassador status. I miss that blue bar under my avatar on the left.
    I'm sorry to hear your car leads his own life regarding this issue.

I had a simple single deck car radio (jvc) which I connected to my iPhone through Bluetooth. That worked really great for me.

You have two choices, either replace your car radio with a better version or put music you like on your phone and connect it with Bluetooth to play songs.

And maybe, if you know the make and model of your car radio, you could write it down here in this thread so that somebody will offer you a better solution.
    Last edited by Tartarus; 06-26-2016 at 08:08 AM.
    06-26-2016 06:59 AM
    I did some more research and apparently it's something common to Hondas. I'm not sure if other cars experience this too.

I have a built in GPS/Apple Carplay head unit that can't be replaced (or if it can it would be a major undertaking).

Everyone on the Honda forums I found just seems to be saying to format the drive and copy everything across in the order I want it to appear, so I guess I shall just have to suck it up and do that.

Thanks for the help anyway. Much appreciated.
    Tartarus likes this.
    06-26-2016 02:19 PM