How to download apple update to computer with no wifi?

dobe3man

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Please bear with me here . . . I'm tech challenged. I have a new (2015) mac desktop but have no wifi/cable/satellite capabilities (not allowed in building . . . long story). I do have an ipad . . . so is there a way to find a hot spot, download the applicable mac updates to the ipad and then bring it home and transfer the updates to the computer?

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Depending upon your carrier you can turn your cellular device into a hotspot and use your laptop with it. You could also buy a wireless internet stick that you could use. You could also just go to a free WiFi zone and download the update, store it on a USB and then update that way.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Please bear with me here . . . I'm tech challenged. I have a new (2015) mac desktop but have no wifi/cable/satellite capabilities (not allowed in building . . . long story). I do have an ipad . . . so is there a way to find a hot spot, download the applicable mac updates to the ipad and then bring it home and transfer the updates to the computer?

Welcome to iMore. Unfortunately no. It is an OS X update and your iPad is IOS, so it will not allow it. You are best to do the update from your desktop.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Depending upon your carrier you can turn your cellular device into a hotspot and use your laptop with it. You could also buy a wireless internet stick that you could use. You could also just go to a free WiFi zone and download the update, store it on a USB and then update that way.

Please take note OP said it is not permitted in his building.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
The OP indicates that they have a Mac desktop.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the quick reply. Much appreciated.

Have you considered possibly take your desktop somewhere where you have access to Wi-Fi. This way you won't run into any issue in the building where you are located. I know that is a pain, but I really don't have any other suggestions.

Niklasf

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Try to get a copy of the needed firmware on a thumbdrive. Maybe over a friend or you can use your cellular data plan as a hotspot for your computer.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2