How do I change admin name from showing up on network?

Coffee4ever

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I'm really having a hard time figuring this out. When I do a network scan using any app that looks for devices on my network, it shows my mac mini with my admin name as the prefix like "xxxxx's mac mini".

I've tried to change the name of my mac mini under system preferences, then sharing, and under computer name, it has made the change to a different name. Yet still when I use a network tool it shows my mac mini with the admin name followed by mac mini.

I don't run as that admin user, I run as a standard user. Is there any way to change this? I know I'm just being paranoid but on my iPad for instance, I was able to change it to any name I picked so the ipad just shows up as the name. I'm running the current OS El Cap.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what to tell you. When I scan my network using the Airport Utilities app, I see the names of my devices and not the admin user name. Have you tried leaving feedback on Apple's support site?

rte369x

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Please see below: Hope this will help
Step 1: Connect your computer directly to the [redacted] Wireless Modem with an ethernet cable. For details on how to do this, please review the following document before continuing: Directly Connecting Your Computer and Modem
Step 2: Identify the brand of your WiFi Modem and follow the steps specific to the brand:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods