Safari Content Blockers for El Capitan

eric_sh

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
This content blocking business is getting quite muddled. Even before El Cap, several ad and tracker blocking extensions have been available for Safari, but which one to choose is becoming tricky. I've been using AdBlock Plus (which I like because it allows unobtrusive ads), but now I'm reading unsavory things about both their code implementation and their business practices (e.g. you need to pay to get on their acceptable ad whitelist). So while I find it annoying that they don't whitelist ads from The Deck, I can totally understand why The Deck might not want to pay to be whitelisted.

Other options include ublock, but there's this whole issue of ublock vs ublock origin, the latter of which is apparently the "good" ublock, but it doesn't support Safari. Ugh.

And this is all _pre_ 10.11 with its new content blocking APIs for Safari!

iMore, please write an "Everything You Need to Know About..." article about this!! Are there good content blockers available that take advantage of the new APIs yet? Which of the current crop of extensions will get re-written to take advantage of them? Will there be commonality between iOS & OS X content blockers down the line?

Thanks for listening.

eric_sh

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
One month later and this landscape remains as muddled as ever. So we now have Safari extensions available that utilize this new content blocking architecture for El Capitan (which is supposedly more secure and better performing than the way the existing crop of blockers work). But they sit right alongside existing ad and tracker blocker extensions that don't use this new architecture. How do I know which approach any particular extension is utilizing? the Safari Extensions site provides no guidance.

Texatl

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I am wondering why it matters? If the intent is to block ads, and it's doing so, then why would you be ok with some and not others? Unless you work for a company who wants its ads seen by all and need to find a way around it.

I use AdBlock Plus and it works great. I don't support this notion that "some ads are ok", because that leaves open someone else's interpretation of "ok" and thus someone else's ability to manipulate that. Yes Adblock plus can allow unobtrusive, not my favorite feature, but I can also configure it off.

And I don't find the landscape muddled at all, unless you desire to advertise. Which means- pay the money and modify the ad to get it on the "unobtrusive list", and go about your business. Business costs money, and if you want to be seen, pony up.

Just know, I will block all and so will 25% of users (according to Adblock plus). When I find sites I like and feel provide value I support them and their advertisers. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro