How to gain FULL read/write access to a Windows external NTFS harddisk??

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Last week I got my new iMac, and I totally love it!
However, after 15 years (and tears) of Windows, I put all my data on my NTFS external drive.

- Are there any apps or tweaks to gain FULL access to my harddisk?
Right now, I can only read/copy from it... but I would also like to write to it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
On the disk's desktop icon - Right-click (two button mouse) or CTRL-Click (left or one button mouse...) and select Get Info on the menu... then, toward the bottom of the info window is Sharing an permissions... at the bottom of the window, click the lock to be able to make changes... then set as desired.

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
"toward the bottom of the info window is Sharing an permissions... at the bottom of the window, click the lock to be able to make changes... then set as desired."

I see the Sharing and permissions option, however there is no lock to be found.

- I'll try and do what Zerog46 advised... I'm currently copying everything to my Dropbox, so I can format the external drive into xfat.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Last week I got my new iMac, and I totally love it!
However, after 15 years (and tears) of Windows, I put all my data on my NTFS external drive.

- Are there any apps or tweaks to gain FULL access to my harddisk?
Right now, I can only read/copy from it... but I would also like to write to it.

AFAIK, OS X cannot write tn NTFS partitions natively. I use a 3rd party app (Paragon NFTS) to do that. Ironically, I got a notice from them this morning of a free update to allow writing to an NFTS partition under El Capitan.

There are other 3rd party solutions, as well, but I have not tried any of them. Tuxera is one that I have heard of.

I just searched and found this article, but be advised that in includes this disclaimer, so it may not actually work reliably:

Keep in mind that the writing ability of Apple's NTFS driver has not been thoroughly tested, and though this will enable write support using Apple's driver, there may be some limitations or unknown behaviors with the driver, so use it with caution. If you are dealing with important data, or need to access numerous different NTFS volumes, then third-party drivers may still be the best (if not most convenient) choice.

How to manually enable NTFS read and write in OS X - CNET

afchristopher

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
To be able to read and write to NTFS use NTFS for Mac from Paragon Software. It works pretty well for me.

However..... it seems like you want to use it as a main drive for your data, which I would NOT recommend. Get a fresh drive, format it HFS+. Use that. Copy across whatever data you want to use to that drive (I'm assuming it's stuff like photos and music etc). Reading and writing to NTFS from your Mac apps is a recipe for data corruption.

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for not being completely clear guys...

- I have an AirPort Time Capsule (3TB) connected for my Time Machine backups.
The data that I have on my main iMac drive will be backed up safely through Time Machine.
I just happen to have a spare NTFS external drive, that I would like to use between my OSX and my secondary Windows laptop.

* So what format do you advise me to format that spare NTFS external drive?
Shall I go for MS-DOS (FAT), or ExFAT?
It should be read/write compatible between both OSX/Windows.

--> Sorry for being a little confusing...

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for not being completely clear guys...

- I have an AirPort Time Capsule (3TB) connected for my Time Machine backups.
The data that I have on my main iMac drive will be backed up safely through Time Machine.
I just happen to have a spare NTFS external drive, that I would like to use between my OSX and my secondary Windows laptop.

* So what format do you advise me to format that spare NTFS external drive?
Shall I go for MS-DOS (FAT), or ExFAT?
It should be read/write compatible between both OSX/Windows.

--> Sorry for being a little confusing...

Definitely use ExFat... or connect it to a network device (NAS, wifi router, etc) and let the network handle the "dirty work".

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73